Allegany Gas Station Family Picture

Mark Huston

The Allegany Gas station in this photo was owned by my mother's family on Belden Avenue South East, Canton, Ohio.   The gas station was operated by my grandfathers younger brother, Winfield Fry.  The Fry family home was on the property behind the gas station out of view in this picture.   My great uncle, Winfield Fry, who operated by the Allegany Gas station died of carbon monoxide poisoning while working on a car in the service garage of the station on March 26, 1920 at the age of 21 years old.  The gas station building was still there as a kid when I was growing up and visiting the property in the 1960s - 1970s, however, the state of Ohio took the property under eminent domain when the intersection of highway 30 and 43 was built and demolished the gas station building and the Fry family home.  

Fry Family Gas Station.jpg

• Like 2

Great photo, thanks for sharing it.  Love those simple canopy gas stations and false front brick garage buildings from that era.  I'll opine the large coupe is a '26-'28 Lincoln L with two passenger coupe body by Judkins.  What say others?