Chasis / frame interchangability

Brichon12

8 hours ago, The 55er said:

You can also get it from a Hollander Interchange Manual. 1965 Skylark sedan and convertible frames do not interchange, 

That is not completely correct. You cannot use a sedan frame under a convertible because the convertible frame is fully boxed. You CAN use a convertible frame under a sedan. In fact, this was a factory option as the HD frame (RPO F35). The 1965 sedans and convertibles used the same 115" wheelbase. Note that the boxed convertible frame requires the matching trans cross member.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

That is not completely correct. You cannot use a sedan frame under a convertible because the convertible frame is fully boxed. You CAN use a convertible frame under a sedan. In fact, this was a factory option as the HD frame (RPO F35). The 1965 sedans and convertibles used the same 115" wheelbase. Note that the boxed convertible frame requires the matching trans cross member.

Yes totally correct above.  The frames "fit" but are not correct as joe-padavano pointed out.  

Being that the convertible frame is hard to come by, is there a way to strengthen the standard sedan frame to use for a convertible? I have searched You Tube without success.

I have found that the dimensions of my convertible frame are the same as a sedan frame I am looking into. Thanks again

The convertible frames start out as sedan frames. The difference is the additional reinforcing that is welded along the inside of the frame rails under the rockers. Unfortunately, these are not flat plates, they are roughly C-section channels but are contoured to fit the floor pans. If these parts of the original convertible frame are good, they can be carefully cut out and welded to a sedan frame to make it a convertible frame. These photos should help. This is a 67 GTO, but the 65s are very similar. In the second photo, note that the outer frame rail even retains the pre-drilled holes used to mount the trans crossmember for non-convertible frames.

0222bg.JPG

Convertible reinforcement.png

1 hour ago, Mark I said:

The frame you are looking for is the same as all 65 Skylark Gran Sport. Also 65 Pontiac a-body convert will interchange.

You can go to 65.GS.com and scrounge around. There may a frame or 2 available there or join the party and post an ad. Good luck!

Mark

Thanks Mark I and joe_padavano for the info! I am learning a lot here. I will check out 65.GS.com.