Differential Issue on a 1929 Dictator Six *SOLVED*

I had this happen before the fourth but haven't spent much time chasing the problem as I have been overwhelmed with a lot of other stuff. I thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone has any ideas. 

To start off I adjusted the 3rd brake shoe on each wheel so it had just a little resistance when you turn the wheel by hand. My brakes are atrocious and I am going to have to reline them like it or not. I drove the car several times testing, it drove normal but the brakes really didn't improve. A day or so later I went to move it and it did not want to go forward. It would back up fine. I jacked up the rear wheels and ran the motor, put it in gear and the wheels rotate fine. I jacked up the front wheels and they both turn fine. I tried to drive it to the back yard and it acted like it did not want to move and it would lug the motor. I could stop a few seconds and it would go again. I tried backing up and it worked fine. I went forward and it worked fine and then started the lugging the engine again like a brake was on. I managed to get it to its parking spot by going slow and just setting for a minute and then it would move again.

I had noticed a similar behavior before but thought that it had to do with a brake sticking after using the parking brake but it never lasted more than a second or so. There would be a pop like a brake release and then it would go normally. 

Has anyone seen this, experienced it, heard of it? Do I have a gear or a brake problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by keninman
added solved to the title (see edit history)

I’ve got a similar issue with one of mine. I adjusted the front brakes and now they come on but won’t come off unless I physically push the operating lever back.  I stripped them and can only assume that the square operating cam is going over centre. 

Ive sent my shoes off to be relined so I’m hoping this will cure it as more meat on the lining should mean that the cam won’t need to

operate as much.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. It was with the eccentric adjustment on the passenger side rear wheel. That is the one I have been having trouble with. Even though when the rear end was jacked up off the ground the wheels turned fine as soon as under power that brake would grab. I haven't had it apart yet, I am going to order new brake material and rivets and try to replace them myself.