323 oilpan won't come off - any ideas?

The oilpan of my 1940 NewYorker will not come off and I need to check the oil pick-up for free movement as the pressure drops alarmingly in turns. I have slackened all the 26 bolts and banged heavily on the pan sides with a 2x4 piece in between. Any suggestions to what might hold it, I am suspecting that the guys that were "overhauling" the engine in AZ some 15 years ago used Loctite to get it to stick to the block? Would heating everything to a certain temperature help?

They might have siliconed it on too. The pan on all the 323's come straight off...easily. Work it carefully off with a wedge type tool...wide thin screw driver etc.

The oil PU float tangs are bent wrong letting the PU float ride to high for the full oil level...

Oil Pick Up C49 323 Height Adjustment (2).JPG

Oil Pick Up C49 323 Height Adjustment (1).JPG

Oil Pick Up C49 323 Height Adjustment (4).JPG

• Like 1

A chisel came in handy to separate the pan from block. Someone previously had used a plenty of adhesive to mount their homemade gasket. Inside was a correct for 1940 solid mounted oil intake with no provision for floating up and down so there are no tabs to be wrongly adjusted.

Is there any other way the oil screen/intake can be mounted incorrectly, allowing oil pressure to drop in turns with oil level just below full? As a remedy, can I fill an extra quart above full - or would that create other issues?

20190617_133703.jpg

20190617_133717.jpg

Narve,

Since your oil pick up is "fixed", and your losing pressure in the turns, you could either lower the pick up a bit, or raise the oil by adding and extra quart.

I would add the oil first and run a controlled test with some hard turns, while watching the pressure gage.

The extra oil won't hurt a thing.

No amount of extra baffling in the crank case will prevent the oil from sloshing around.

Makes me wonder if she loses pressure up or down steep hills ?

Because all that oil runs to the front or back of the pan.

Mike in Colorado

I have to ask the dumb question.

How much oil is required to bring it from empty to FULL on the dipstick, when you change the oil? Is that the amount specified in the manual? What I am getting at is whether it has the correct dipstick, as opposed to one that is too long!

How far above the bottom of the oil pan is the oil pickup mounted?

The engine is now filled with 6,5 qts of oil. I noticed that the dipstick is likely the original and quotes 6 quarts for full, however the dipstick can be in two positions when fully inserted with about 1/4" travel and 0,3 qts in between them. Likely the fully dipped stick (most optimistic) is the most correct, showing 6 qts when I had filled 6,0. With 6,5 qts the level is another 1/4" above "FULL".