Temperature

PSHAW

Hi all,

On warm to hot days, upper 80’s to mid 90’s, my temp gauge climbs almost all the way to the hot side.  As soon as I get home I checked the temp all over with my laser gun and the highest reading I get is 190 at the thermostat housing.  Radiator checks out at 185.  Everywhere else is much less.

is that too hot for my 263 straight 8?

52 Super Estate Wagon

Thanks, Rog

I remember some comments in here, regarding '55 Buick temp gauges, where the middle of the "Normal" range was 160 degrees?  As those engines had 160 degree F thermostats?

Might be interesting to check the water temp at the thermostat housing as the needle on the gauge gets to the "1/2" mark, just to see what it was.  Might check the block temp at each of the freeze plugs, just for reference? 

How long since the freeze plugs were removed and the block's coolant passages were flushed out?  Just curious . . .

NTX5467

2 hours ago, PSHAW said:

Hi all,

On warm to hot days, upper 80’s to mid 90’s, my temp gauge climbs almost all the way to the hot side.  As soon as I get home I checked the temp all over with my laser gun and the highest reading I get is 190 at the thermostat housing.  Radiator checks out at 185.  Everywhere else is much less.

is that too hot for my 263 straight 8?

52 Super Estate Wagon

Thanks, Rog

I think it is safe to say just about every '50's owner here has had concerns, with potential overheating on hot days, based on factory temp gauges.  Some cars are indeed running too hot.  But as you have found, other evidence shows there isn't really a problem.

If you have a manual, you might want to research to see if the operation of the temp gauge is divulged.  For example, in the '56 Technical services bulletins there is a passage that says what the corresponding temperature is for a certain position on the factory gauge.  Naturally I cannot predict how that '56 reading should relate to a '52.  It's just that the information may be available in the book.  You should pay attention to the thermostat recommendations too.  I run a 180* T-stat all year long, while my book recommends a 160*.  And the gauge readings reflect that in higher readings.  But anytime I thought my car was overheating I would put the heater on to feel the temperature and I could tell the car was not overheating at all.  And if I wanted an added level of insurance I would just leave the heater on.  That always seems to immediately reduce the reading on the temp gauge.  If it did not do so then I'd be a lot more concerned, as an over heating engine just keeps getting hotter. 

Like Ben says, if it is not boiling over then you should be okay to drive.