Random code E024

Ronnie

I have been randomly getting a code E024. This problem started after my Reatta had been sitting over the winter. It only happens when I'm stopped at a stop sign or red light for about a minute with the transmission in drive. It never happens when the engine is idling in Park or Neutral.  It doesn't happen often but when it does the yellow check engine light comes on and a warning is displayed on the CRT that there is an electrical problem.  As soon as I start moving again the check engine light and CRT warning goes away. A code E024 is stored in history.  Sometimes a code E031 will be in history to.  

The way the car runs or shifts isn't effected. It's just annoying that it happens every now and then.   I have never saw any sign of the speedometer not reading correctly while moving and it always shows 0 mph when the problem occurs at a red light.

Below is the section of the FSM that covers a code E024 If I'm reading it correctly is says the code will be set if the engine is running and the transmission is in 4th gear for 40 seconds. That doesn't make sense to me.  It does seem like I've been sitting at a stop light at least 40 seconds before the warning comes on the CRT but I'm certain the transmission isn't in 4th gear because the car moves away from the stop light normally.  Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem would be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.4387976a753ad225a60524f9f8607ae0.png

Diagnostics should be able to monitor what gear the ECM thinks it is in. I don't know if you have used the 4th gear lockup delay device I sent you several years ago, or not, but a fault with the connection at the transaxle maybe??

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

Diagnostics should be able to monitor what gear the ECM thinks it is in. I don't know if you have used the 4th gear lockup delay device I sent you several years ago, or not, but a fault with the connection at the transaxle maybe??

If it ever does it in a location where I can sit stopped in the road long enough I will check diagnostics and see if it shows that it is in fourth gear. Most of the time it happens when cars are behind me and I have to go. I don't use the delay anymore. It quit working.  I will check the connection to the transaxle. Thanks for the ideas!

Now that 2seater brought it up, I was getting a code after the engine/transmission rebuild/swap from 2 years ago on the Red.  As a matter of fact there might be a mention of it Ronnie on your website when I wrote about my experience. I believe I also had a code 24 and Kendall told me it was just a connection issue at the transaxle. I believe he told me it would go away after I drove it a bunch and he was right it did go away. But then if you remember I had the loose bolts in the timing chain/gear and that code issue was forgotten as the loose bolts became a much bigger problem. Which as you might remember was addressed and the car has run great and now has 25,000 miles more on it.

I cleaned the connector going into the transmission this morning. Maybe the code E024 will go away. If not I will clean the speed sensor connector next.

Dave I couldn't find where you wrote about a code 24 on ROJ.  I did find a post about a code 26 that you wrote. I'll keep looking. It could have been in the posts (11 pages) that you wrote about the engine rebuild and swap and I missed it.

If running normally that sound more like a faulty transmission gear selector (happening at stop lights). Trans should be in 1st when stopped. 4th is one of the indicators on the bottom.

diagnostics.jpg

I wore the streets out this evening trying to get the error message on the CRT to pop up while sitting at stop signs and watching the gear indicators in diagnostics. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I have my fingers crossed that cleaning the electrical connector on the transmission fixed my code E024.  Time will tell...

On 5/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, Ronnie said:

I cleaned the connector going into the transmission this morning. Maybe the code E024 will go away. If not I will clean the speed sensor connector next.

I drove over 200 miles yesterday that included a lot of stop and go traffic.  No code 24 was set. Maybe cleaning the transmission connector fixed the problem.

• Like 1