1955 Buick Special 46R

M1842

I haven't posted much since I bought my car but want to say that there is so much knowledge on this board that it is mind boggling.  When I have a question I can usually do a search and find one or more threads dealing with the exact problem and how to fix it.

I bought my 55 two years ago and started on bringing it back to life.  The seller had said the car had a hard time going up hills and leaked some transmission fluid and he thought the Dynaflow needed a rebuild.  Well one fuel filter and 3 quarts of ATF later the car was running much better.  Replaced the distributor vacuum advance and the engine improved even more.  The tranny, well it leaks like crazy from the torque ball after not being driven for awhile, but I am feeling confident about replacing that soon.  I do have a problem with Low not working at all.  And Park stopped working suddenly so I think the thrust pad is bad.

I started on the electrical system as none of the lights or accessories worked.  It has been a combination of worn out switches, broken wires, bad bulbs, bad fuses, and bad grounds.  I have the common problem with the horns not working, that will be a big job.  I am sure the radio needs to be re-capped but for now it sits in the dash board connected to nothing, I think a previous owner installed a more modern radio at some point.

Working on replacing the miles of heater hose, vacuum hose, and ventilation hose.  And discovered the heater core leaks.  Defrost motor works after replacing the ballast.  Heater motor still dead, I have not started to check voltages and grounds on that yet.

Tires were dry rotted and different treads and sizes, so replaced all 5 with the same bias ply and it rides better and steers easier than with the undersize radials.  Steering seems precise and the car does not wander on the road.

Rubber is pretty much petrified everywhere.

So I have a lot of projects both small and large.  But having a community like this helps a lot!

Buick.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think someone did a home restoration 25-30 years ago and then it sat somewhere in a garage or barn for many years.  I removed about 10 pounds of mouse poop and mummified mouse remains from between the headliner and the jute pad on the roof as well as inside the defroster housing.  Much of the pot metal is pitted and the glass is delaminating and cloudy.  Was also originally a blue and white car that someone repainted red and white.  It looks really good from 10-15 feet away :)