Heavy short fiber grease?

Blackbetty

Hi all. It is getting warmer and I am getting antsy to put my first car back on the road-1937 Plymouth p4. (last registered in 1991) I have been through many systems this winter. Brakes are all new except drums and original shoes(relined). Every wire in the car has been replaced with original size or larger. I have added a few extra ground straps for lights. Typical new engine parts: cap, rotor, condensor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, water pump, water dist tube and a thorough cooling system flush. New fuel tank and fuel line. On and on. No I did not break open the engine, trans, or rear end. I am getting real close to putting tags on and calling my insurance rep. Here is my question(finally): what is a modern equivalent to heavy short fiber grease for lubricating propeller shaft u-joints on this car? I have been pretty meticulous thus far in doing "the right thing" mechanically. It will be a driver, not so much a looker. I have included an excerpt from the service manual. Thank you

Chad

IMG_0217.PNG

Ah, they are probably referencing the old style fiber wheel bearing grease.  I remember packing front wheel bearings with Quaker State Fiber Rated grease back in the late 60s. Of course the can I was using could have been from the 30s!😉

Any good wheel bearing grease made today will be fine in this application. Most all lubrication products today are superior to those made in the 30s and 40s. Same grease you would use on any U-joint with a grease fitting.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to learn much about all this. But I will say this: I opened a can of Sta-Lube 3131 yesterday. Been a long time since I felt anything like that. Used it on some 50 year old motorcycle wheel bearings and they felt GOOD.