1926 Dodge Brothers Canada Series 116 Sedan

Dinster

I'm trying to figure out if this motor is original to my vehicle. The serial number of the vehicle is A651509. Still haven't found a way to figure out if it was actually manufactured in Canada or made in the US and exported to Canada. Update: finally found the engine number it's B723-247 (or B723-242)

20190411_083742.jpg

20190412_095325.jpg

Edited by Dinster
More information (see edit history)

Those are casting numbers. The engine number will be STAMPED into a machined surface on the block. Look just below the head on the non-manifold side.

Is there a label or plate on the firewall saying who made it? Mine has a plate like this on it:

image.thumb.png.c35ade93e0828fb7ae23d282e5dda6e0.png It is cut to the shape of the black outline. This was an attempt to print it on stainless steel. 

I don't know about 1926, but my Canadian 1930 DC has generator and starter made in Canada by The Mckinnon Industries rather than Anderson Ind. The label is like this:

image.thumb.png.810f6cccc9fbdc42b20cb7b1b2369a6f.png I have reproduced both of these plates.

My DC also has Canadian made wire wheels, with larger hubcaps than the US wheels. Maybe there are differences there in yours too?

If you post some views of the engine from each side, someone might recognise its year of manufacture. There will be a little casting date on it too, in raised  numerals.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I keep trying to post pics but am having a hard time doing so.  The Serial Number Plate on mine says Dodge Brothers (Canada) Limited, Toronto, Canada. There is a brass plate above it stating sold by Moore & Hughes Limited, Toronto Canada.  The serial number is A651509 but in all the documentation I have seen, this is listed as a US serial number. The generator and starter in mine was made by North East Electric Co in Rochester, NY.  Mine has wooden spoked wheels. When we bought this sedan, the ownership had the wrong VIN and called it a 1929 Dodge Whippet 2 Door Sedan/Coupe in Green.  It's actually a 1926 Dodge Brothers Series 116 Deluxe Sedan in blue so I guess I'm gonna have to have the ownership changed which should be buckets of fun ;)

Edited by Dinster (see edit history)

If you look down to about page 4 in this forum, you will find the story of Daphne, a 1932 DL. It is a restoration thread or blog. Also, if you go back to Forum Home and scroll down a bit, you can do a forum of restoration blogs there too. We would be delighted if you documented your restoration here!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dinster said:

When we bought this sedan, the ownership had the wrong VIN and called it a 1929 Dodge Whippet 2 Door Sedan/Coupe in Green. 

Obviously some one was confused previously.  Whippet was built by Willys Overland not Dodge and a sedan and a coupe are not at all the same.

I hope you have as much fun with your Canadian Dodge as I have had with my Regina built Pontiac.

Your engine is a 3 main bearing 6 volt engine that came out mid 1926. Early '26 still had the 12 volt engine. I would certainly call your car a 1926. Now, is it a Type A or Type B? Type B is a Business Sedan with tilt forward front seat assembly and easily removable rear seat and side panels. Leather or fabric upholstery?

Edited by dwollam (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to find out a little more info on our 1926 by first speaking with someone at RM Sothebys and then the curator at the Canadian Automotive Museum.  I knew the Dodge Brothers factory opened in 1924 on Dufferin Street in Toronto but had no idea that they had used Detroit serial numbers on many of the first vehicles produced.  Received this email this morning from Alex, the executive director and curator at the Canadian Automotive Museum.

Email from Alex Cdn Auto Museum.JPG