Power brake booster rebuild...

DV8

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.  Thought I had found the plastic 'retainer' at RockAuto but they sent me something else.  Anyone know where I can find this plastic retainer or  gasket in the photo in my last post?  I've also seen it referred to as a "Firewall seal."

Edited by DV8 (see edit history)

The plastic retainer serves what purpose? 

I think that if you did as Tom T. suggested and go to an art supply store, you can find something with which to make one of your own.

Here's a picture of the window sticker from my '63 that shows

"The following items, optional on some other models, are

standard equipment on this 1963 model ..................

Riviera 2 door sport coupe."  

I'm guessing that stating a car is equipped with dual exhausts is another way of stating that the engine was a high performance engine with a four barrel carb - which came standard on all Rivieas. 

607216617_1963Rivierawindowsticker0003.thumb.JPG.7f9d6b10eedc1d0bb40cec3b41e2e86c.JPG

• Like 1

The purpose appears to be to keep dust and dirt out of the booster by creating a tight seal between the firewall and the booster where the operating rod protrudes.  The one I pulled off of mine and the diagrams in the shop manual have a flange to the center opening.  I'm not sure how effective it would be without that flange and that's not something one can do with scissors. I would sooner use some auto gasket material and cut that to shape but that won't have the flange that seems to seal right up to the operating rod boot.

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

Bump.  Thought I had found the plastic 'retainer' at RockAuto but they sent me something else.  Anyone know where I can find this plastic retainer or  gasket in the photo in my last post?  I've also seen it referred to as a "Firewall seal."

When Booster Dewey redid mine, he told me it wasn't necessary to have it, so it doesn't. No issues so far.

Edited by jframe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you're just wanting to keep leaves and dirt from between the booster and the firewall, find the smallest diameter vacuum hose you can find and wedge it between the two once it's bolted into place.  Start in the middle at the bottom and work your way around.

According to George at Harmon the purpose of the gasket is a metal against metal cushion that will create a seal that won’t squeak, creak or scrape paint when pressure is applied. This ACDelco part which was purchased on Amazon for less than $5 seems to be a perfect fit for almost all boosters of the era.

4A7C0DFD-1EDE-4AED-AF4A-59BF2FF036C0.jpeg

• Like 1

Newly rebuilt/refinished booster installed. Brand new ACDelco master cylinder installed.  Can anyone tell me what the circled screw in the attached photo is, its purpose and torque specs?  It was leaking fluid after bleeding the system and taking it for a test drive.  I then added some thread locker and torqued it out as hard as I could.  Seems to be holding but I'm curious what the proper installation procedure for it is.  Can't find anything in the shop manual.  It doesn't even seem to be pictured in the shop manual diagrams of the master cylinder.

IMG_1520.jpg

Never would have guessed that.  Well that explains why there is nothing about it in the shop manual.  The master cylinder that was on my '65 had one too (apparently not the original).  Anyone have any tips on how to seal it off permanently eliminating any chance for fluid leak?

DV8,

That is a pipe thread fitting which is what the original brake switch was.  Onto your leaking problem.  That fitting is pipe thread like mentioned.  IF it's leaking remove it & apply plumbers tape & tighten.  The way a pipe thread works is that the threads get larger as you tighten the fitting. So IF you tightened the fitting more the leak should stop. IF NOT use the plumbers tape.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1