Do carburetor gaskets need sealant?

I'm just in the process of replacing the carburetor gaskets on my car. I'm not a fan of sealants but have used them in other applications. I've never worked with carb gaskets. Is a sealant recommended? Guess I'm asking because the heat shield is a little pitted and maybe a thin coat could help seal it? I'm also short a couple gaskets from CPR so I have to wait for some more. Don't want to change any heights of anything as mentioned before. I also read from Charles that it's thick gasket between carb and heat shield and thin gasket between carb and intake. Mine was opposite. Does this configuration really matter? 

Indian head (but not if you ever want to get the gaskets back off).

It works great on intakes, but use sparingly and don't dribble or squirt any on the inside. Frankly I am disinclined to use it on intakes anymore now that there's a bunch of alcohol in the gas. You don't want it winding up on the valvestems causing the valves to stick. I would probably use new gaskets and put them on dry.

As a general rule, using gasket sealant on carburetor gaskets.......................means an EXPENSIVE carburetor rebuild is just around the next corner. Kind of like using Teflon tape.

No longer rebuilding carburetors, but when we were doing so; a unit that came in with gasket sealer normally cost two to three times to rebuild if the P.O. had assembled dry. Often, once the sealer was detected, we would just send it back to the owner and suggest they find a different carb to rebuild.

Jon.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I am very aware of the consequences of sealant like silicone when it comes to a carb. This is why I needed some feedback like this. Think I'm staying away from sealants. Would a thin film of vaseline on the gasket side that contacts the lightly pitted heat shield be of any help? Another observation was the old gasket was saturated. It is after all, 65 years old. I think I read it finally does get wet over time. The thicker gasket was also held together with a staple at each end with it's original GM part number stamped in. 

7 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I am very aware of the consequences of sealant like silicone when it comes to a carb. This is why I needed some feedback like this. Think I'm staying away from sealants. Would a thin film of vaseline on the gasket side that contacts the lightly pitted heat shield be of any help? Another observation was the old gasket was saturated. It is after all, 65 years old. I think I read it finally does get wet over time. The thicker gasket was also held together with a staple at each end with it's original GM part number stamped in. 

At what temperature does vaseline melt, and does your exhaust exceed that temperature?????

Jon.

1 hour ago, carbking said:

At what temperature does vaseline melt, and does your exhaust exceed that temperature?????

Vaseline melts between 100 degrees - 130 degrees so I guess your answer is yes. I'm not saying I'm going to use it but the vaseline wouldn't be in contact with the exhaust. The layers from the intake are 5 paper gaskets, heat shield, 3 paper gaskets then carb. The "sealant" would be between the 3 paper gaskets and heat shield just under the carb. But I'm sure it would melt anyway, things get pretty toasty under the hood.  Thanks for that fact of the day.....I now know when vaseline melts!

Edited by Summershandy
spelling (see edit history)

I just want to clarify that when I half-heartedly suggested Indian Head, I was referring to flange gaskets and heat shields and so on, and then only if the surfaces or the gaskets are questionable.

I did NOT mean the gaskets in the carburetor itself. Those are ALWAYS dry. If they wont seal dry, straighten whatever is warped!

For sure Bloo, flanged surfaces only. I've used Indian Head sealant for a quite permanent seal for like a cork crank seal. When I rebuilt my carb I didn't use any sealants. I don't really see why one would want to....I've taken my carb apart more times than I could count for inspection and would have never been able to done so with so called "adhesives". Thanks for the clarification.