1918 FWD spark plugs

bobs1916

Hello  I  am  restoring  a   1918  FWD   Model  B  with a  Wisconsin Model A    engine.  The  original  plugs   are  CHAMPION Tr Spec 5

I  cannot  locate  these  in  any  cross  reference  to  find  a  suitable  modern  replacement.  I  would  also   welcome  any  one   who  has  

a  set  of  these    for  sale  Thank  you

On 2/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, Layden B said:

Aren't your spark plugs 7/8 ALAM threads ?

Model A Fords use this: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/show-spark-plugs

Spendy but you will probably only buy one set ever!

THis  is  what  I  need

Vintage
CHAMPION
TR. SPEC. "S"
SPARK PLUG
Hex: 28 mm = 1-1/8"

Threads: 22 mm = 7/8

plug.jpg

plug2.jpg

Edited by bobs1916 (see edit history)

That may not be the "original" plug as Champion began using other than simple numerical designations long after 1918.  I do have a catalog from January 1st 1924 that indicates the "correct" plug for the FWD is a Champion 4.  TR Spec indicates "Truck Special".  I have a late 1930s Champion catalog that lists that plug as suitable for your FWD, and I have a later catalog (approximately 1936) that indicates a Champion 1 Com. That catalog indicates the 1 Com is a substitute for the TR Spec plug.   Looks like you could try the C4 or the 1 Com, both of which would be easier to find.

It's often difficult to figure out which number plug replaced which as the catalogs I've seen don't seem to have that level of detail, and they often are not dated.  I've collected catalogs (and spark plugs) for a long time.  There are a couple of plug dealers around who may be able to help and the usually advertise in Gas Engine Magazine.  Hope this helps some.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...