Where Do You Want an AACA National or Tour to Be Held?

Guest Mark McAlpine

13 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Frankly and seriously, I can't think of many better places to visit than the area east and west of Fredericksburg. 

Gee, agreeing with Earl again on this. While VP of National Activities I approached the Fredericksburg Region about them hosting a tour in the surrounding area of Fredericksburg. At the time they thought that our antique cars would not be able to avoid the traffic. When we had our 3rd Sentimental Tour in Manassas, Virginia, they was much more traffic in that town that we easily worked around. I don't consider that an issue. As I mentioned earlier, I am sure the Buzzard's Breath Region would consider hosting a tour in that area, as they can host one anywhere, and have.

Wayne

53 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Gee, agreeing with Earl again on this. While VP of National Activities I approached the Fredericksburg Region about them hosting a tour in the surrounding area of Fredericksburg. At the time they thought that our antique cars would not be able to avoid the traffic. When we had our 3rd Sentimental Tour in Manassas, Virginia, they was much more traffic in that town that we easily worked around. I don't consider that an issue. As I mentioned earlier, I am sure the Buzzard's Breath Region would consider hosting a tour in that area, as they can host one anywhere, and have.

Wayne

If the Buzzard's Breath Region would take it on, I'm all for it.  Have they ever done a 5-day tour?  I'm a Charter member, but I don't remember.  I do know one thing, though.  If the member tourists aren't allowed to take any non-member friends with them in their cars, that could be an issue though.  As for Fredericksburg traffic, I think if they use Rte 17 west, and Rte 3 east I think it would greatly reduce in-town congestion.  Wayne Burgess, do you agree with that?

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

On 3/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Earl and Marty.  I know what the eligibility dates are for the AACA national tours.  As Earl pointed out, they're specified in the AACA Policy & Procedure Manual.  They're also in the listing for the tours in the AACA calendar on the AACA website.

I suggested Tommy contact Franklin Gage because, if there the tour wasn't filled, Tommy & Debbie might be able to register for and participate in the tour.  (Their car might or might not be an "official" participant and it might even have to be at the end of the tour progression.)  This would not be unprecedented.  As you know, in rare occasions someone will register a vehicle for a tour and then the vehicle may have a problem that can't be repaired in time for the vehicle to participate in the tour.  In that case, the Tour Chairman may allow the participant to bring a different antique vehicle rather than having to cancel out of the tour.  (Of course, in this situation, the vehicle should be close to the years of eligibility for the tour.  It wouldn't be appropriate to drive a 1970 muscle car on the Reliability Tour.)  This happened last year on the Vintage Tour when a participant planned to drive a 1932 Dodge, but it broke and the Tour Chairperson allowed the owner to drive their 1933 Dodge.  Tommy Nolen's situation, while not exactly the same, is similar.  (In the scheme of life, most observers are not going to be able to tell the difference in a vehicle 1-2 years newer than the tour's eligibility years.)

Our bigger concern now is when our country can beat the coronavirus into submission and we can get back to "normal," including being able to gather with our fellow club members and enjoy our antique vehicles on any AACA tour or show.  Let's hope it happens soon.

Be safe and stay healthy!

The rules are the rules.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a fellow register for last years national vintage tour in Kingston On. with a Model A. He called back a few weeks later saying the A had problems and if he could bring a car newer than 31. We were not at our quota of cars and I told him no problem and If we were at our quota I still would let him come because of the circumstances. I never heard one complaint about the non conforming car on tour. We did have several members contact us wanting to bring newer cars but were rejected as you will have a hard time closing the gate. 

On another note there is a time line set for registration for the conforming vintage car years to attend a tour. Then say if you were not filled by the last week you could let in newer cars example the vintage tour that is pre 32 but extend it to prewar cars????? Just a thought, kind of a waiting list for the newer cars. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)