1955 Buick Special Suspension & Steering

Scott N

I own a 55 Buick Special that has no power steering & power brakes. I would like to upgrade the steering to power and a closer gear ratio so it does not require so many turns of the steering wheel to make a turn!  What is the best way to do this?  Do I get a power steering gear box from a 56 or would it not fit?  I do plan to do a disc brake conversion soon and I believe the shop can add an electronic booster. Anyway, looking for answers from anyone who may have this expertise!

Many thanks

Scott

Scott, For regular cruising around, you wouldn't really need disc brakes. Those of us old enough to remember "the day," drove all over the place with drum brakes with no problems, as long as they were properly adjusted and in good repair. The point for conversion to disc brakes is that they don't fade under constant heavy duty use, such as stopping very quickly from high speed runs, (especially when doing so repeatedly), or oval track racing, or towing a heavy trailer up and down mountains and needing to constantly use brakes on long downhill runs, etc, etc. 

If you're determined to modify your system with modern brakes, you may want to just replace suspension and steering at the same time. It's a fairly big job and will be costly. But I would recommend just converting to stock Buick power steering and restoring your stock brake system, or go all out and replace it all with modern systems. To my point of view, there is little point in doing that upgrade half way. 

Either way, I wish you well with your Buick project. 

• 4 months later...

Scott,  I just now saw your post from February.  I am attempting a power steering conversion using an aftermarket kit from an outfit called Ezsteer on my 55 Special.,The problem at this point is that the pulleys on the aftermarket pump don’t line up with the water pump and crankshaft pulleys.  I’m curious as to whether you got yours done successfully and if so what your experience was.

Go over your front end, replace worn parts, and get an alignment. Pump up the tires to 32PSI. While you are at it, replace the shocks or if they are lever shocks, fill with oil. I know people who have done these things and it took away all desire for power steering. Unless at a dead stop you should be able to steer, and park easily.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, Brianbuick said:

Scott,  I just now saw your post from February.  I am attempting a power steering conversion using an aftermarket kit from an outfit called Ezsteer on my 55 Special.,The problem at this point is that the pulleys on the aftermarket pump don’t line up with the water pump and crankshaft pulleys.  I’m curious as to whether you got yours done successfully and if so what your experience was.

Brian, Did the kit work out for you other than the pulley? Did they provide a custom pitman arm? I’ve heard complaints about the bracket they use to mount the new box to the frame. Any luck with that?