Want to buy: '34 or '35' 40 series artillery wheels

Jim Nelson

22 minutes ago, Jim Nelson said:

How do i find this on ebay.

Jim, just copy/paste(highlight, then copy, the ebay number above) then paste the number on the ebay site, or type in the number, "search for anything" line.  I found them looking, 1935 Buick artillery rims 16s

I finally found it.   I have 5-1/2” bolt circle wheels.   Buick made three sizes.   5”,  5-1/2”,  and 6”.    I am pursuing a wheel adapter to put 5-1/2” rims on 5” drums.   “Speedway” auto parts carries them.   I just ordered two to see if they work.   I want to use my wheels on a ‘37’  rear end.    My regular source says that the 5” bc wheels have been gobbled up by the Mexican’s in califotnia.   They put the wheels on their “street rods”  because the 5” bc wheels fit most modern cars.   My wheels look like new.   Even my spare wheel is nice.   My spare tire on my ‘35’  (5 wheel config.)  was so old that it had whitewalls on both sides.   Here is the back side with the rear white wall.  It was painted black.   The rest (4) were the color of the car.   That made the spare manuf. pre war.    Obviously, not useable as a spare.   Trying to find a tire to fit inside the metal cover is becoming a real task.    I think I will have to buy one fron Coker Tire.   ( not my favorite tire company).   The 600 x 16  or  650 x 16 have the proper OD I think.     For a spare, the cheepest tire that fits inside the cover will be nice.

21F2C0EB-2869-4064-8CA7-3A0E9F3DB60E.jpeg

B500364A-B92A-470D-8AAB-144503351876.jpeg

It looks good.  I have to see what width the tire cover allows.    I remember Gene Phillips mentioning the spare tires in the side mounts could not be used because they needed to be deflated to fit.   So, a measuring I will go.   Dave T has mentioned that 40 series artillery wheels are as scarce as hen's teeth.    And very expensive.     The 40 series artillery wheels are 5" bolt circle only.   So he says the Mexican street roders gobbled them up because the 5" bc wheels fit most of the cars today.   Mine are 5-1/2" for the 50 series only - - -   I am checking with Speedway as they have an adapter to mount 5-1/2" bolt circle wheel on a 5" drum hub.    I need to mount my wheels on a '37' rear end.   I saw a pair of  ?ratty? looking wheels on ebay.   They wanted $300 apiece.  (or best offer).     Mine are very good , even my spare tire / wheel, which is black in color, is very good.   I cleaned it up from light rust around the rim and inside area and a quick paint job and it looks good.   Dirty was all.    My wheels on the car look like new.   No scratches, dings and the trim highlite paint looks like new.   I surely lucked out with those when I bought the car.  Thanks again !   

Does it have the 5 lug bolts to hold the wheel on the car.    My wheels on my '38' have the small hokes to help you put the wheel on the drum,  with the 5 main lug bolts.   But several wheels do not have the 'alignment holes'  to help you install the wheel.  I noticed on the web site that pontiac has 6 lug bolts to hold the wheels on where Buick had only 5 lug bolts.

Pontiac have 6 lug artillery wheels in 1935 and 1936 (so yeah, that wont work). They share the bolt pattern with Chevrolet Master, but not the rim size or tire size. Wires are also possible in 1935 I think. 1937 and later Pontiac are 5 lug, but as far as I know none of those were artillery wheels.

I'm not sure about 1934. I suspect they might be 5 lug, but are probably wires.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Jim Nelson said:

Does it have the 5 lug bolts to hold the wheel on the car.    My wheels on my '38' have the small hokes to help you put the wheel on the drum,  with the 5 main lug bolts.   But several wheels do not have the 'alignment holes'  to help you install the wheel.  I noticed on the web site that pontiac has 6 lug bolts to hold the wheels on where Buick had only 5 lug bolts.

Jim here is a picture of my `36 40 series artillery wheel.. and mine have 14 spokes, your`s has 16..

DSCN5380.JPG

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Jim Nelson said:

So, based on this,  your wheels are 5" bc and 16" rims ?    Therefore, the Pontiac artillery rims would fit - ? my Buick drums ? ?     Are they available ?    This would make my conversion go so much nicer and much easier.     

Yes 16", I have a couple sets of the `35-`36 Pontiac/Chevy artillery wheels, which are 6 lug and a 4 1/2" bead width, won`t fit Buick. Attached is a picture of one of my  Pontiac/Chevy artillery wheels. "Wheel Vintiques" makes artillery wheels that might fit your needs.

DSCN5382.JPG