Removing wood veneer

frenchy51

OK-Another question (sure glad I joined this forum!). I'm removing the old cracked wood veneer on my AC '64 dash and console. I can get the wood off fine but my question is, there is what looks like a thin sheet metal plate sandwiched between the wood and the chrome panels. Should this sheet metal come off also before adding my wood kit? It is on tight on every panel but the radio area (see 2nd picture) and is separating there. Looks like it will peel right off. Should I peel it off or glue it back down before adding the new wood veneer? Again-I appreciate your replies. 

trim rivi 001.JPG

trim rivi 003.JPG

Hi Frenchy51

I had the same issue two years ago... Depending on the kit you are using, the thin metal plate is not necessarily needed. Most important is to get a very clean surface to be able to glue your veneer on it.

In my case, I made the whole veneer by myself (no kit) and made it like the original veneer. So I first cut the thin metal sheets and glued the wood first on them. Then I glued the metal sheets on the cleaned parts with a very strong contact spray. 

If you're interested in my way of doing, you can check it out on my webpage: (That was a series publicated in the Riview in 2017)

http://riviera65.com/portfolio-item/veneer-part-1-published-in-the-riview-march-april-2017/

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 3:43 PM, frenchy51 said:

Schmiddy-Thanks-Great article!

On 1/31/2019 at 3:55 PM, 60FlatTop said:

That is a great website. It is in my Riviera bookmark folder now. Thanks.

17 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

HOLY SHET!!

U THE MAN SCHMIDDY!!!

Thx for sharing your site. Your work is AMAZING!!

Thank you guys, I very appreciate and feel honored by such great returns!!! 🤩👌