1931 Plymouth PA Coupe

Graham Goetze

Hand brake

I'm busy rebuilding my transmission. The hand-brake drum is tapered towards th open end ( from 6" down to 5 3/4". I'm assuming that it was originally straight and the tapering is due to wear. Can anyone advise on the correct dimensions?  Kind regards from Cape town, South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Graham.  I was just in Cape Town on Holiday a few months ago.  Beautiful city.  I have a '30 30U and I can check the dimensions on mine.  Can't guarantee mine is correct since it's a 30U, although it was built in 1931.  Mine may have wear and tear as well.  Bare with me until I can get out of work and get to the garage to make some measurements.  -Chris

Graham,

I measured the width/diameter of my brake drum and mine is 7" across. Again, there may have been changes from the 30U to PA, but mine appears to be original.  Although it's hard to get a good measurement since everything's attached to mine and I had to crawl under it, I see no evidence of tapering on mine.  I would suspect that yours may be tapered due to wear.  I don't know if you can get a photo to post, but that may help if others can take a quick look.

-Chris