Any expert on '63 who can clear up questions on exterior trim?

StylishOne

Look at the enclosed 63 Le Sabre convert pic. The owner is telling me the thin red line under the grill is a factory option, as new (kinda hard to see but it's a skinny red line only under grill in bright red)? The whitewalls, and red rims, and wheelcovers he insists are factory as built too.

I know my feelings on all this, but want to hear from experts..! Even better a copy of dealer Salesman data book showing offered options.

Btw the turn signal lenses were amber in 63? Right? 

Guys let me hear from you..

Screenshot_20190106-104943_Facebook.jpg

Edited by StylishOne
Added (see edit history)

About half of the 1963 Buicks have turn signals with amber lenses; and half have clear lenses but with amber bulbs. I can't remember which one came first but the lens color was a mid-year production change. Red wheels were an option on Buicks for many, many years. I don't think the wheel covers in that photo are correct for 1963, but it's not a very good photo. Never heard of a red line underneath the '63 grille.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

• Like 1

Those look like 65  Electra Hubcaps, which would be a one year , one model only item.  

Red line under the grill looks like a piece of the body someone forgot to paint.  But I am not an expert in this and that is a tough picture to work from.  

ps:  I agree with you on the red rims but that alone would not stop me from making a purchase , as long as I verified they were the actual Buick Rims.  

As others noted, don't think those are original hubcaps, doubtful about the redline, and skeptical of the wheels.  You might take a look at the data plate and/or obscure places on the body to see if the car used to be red.

And yes, the turn signal lenses were both clear and amber in 63.  To that last point, IIRC the amber bulbs used with the clear lenses are more expensive than the clear bulbs used with the amber lenses.  Last time I went looking for the amber bulbs (1034A), none of the local stores had them and NAPA could get them only in packs of 10 for around $4 per bulb.  You could substitute an 1157, but they supposedly won't last as long.