Looking for 6 cylinder T-Head Wisconson Engine,clutch, trans.

DFeeney

Hello , I am starting a new project and looking for a 6 cylinder  T-head  Wisconson or similar engine, clutch assembly and transmission.  Any information you might have will get me started on my Quest. Thanks,  Don Feeney in central Ohio   740-816-4284

Hello Don,

Wisconsin T-head six cylinders seem to be pretty much made of unobtainium. I don't mean to discourage you

since I would love to see as many of these wonderful mechanical masterpieces preserved and indeed used.

Nevertheless for a company that made a lot of motors used by a lot of different manufacturers not a lot survives.

Their big six cylinder T-heads such as the model P, F, G, K & L were more for industrial and marine applications though

some found their way into fire trucks - Stutz among them.

The four cylinders  such as the "A" used by Stutz and FWD, to name a few, seem to come-up more often.

In fact, a few months ago a group of four (in very rough condition) turned-up and are now in a good home.

If its a big six cylinder you are after I would suggest ALF or Seagrave. They are not cheap but

appear often enough.

In regards to the clutch I would look for an early Helle-Shaw unit. With the big flywheel most of these

beast have you could probably go with a cone clutch and remove some weight from the flywheel when

its turned to adapt to the cone.

In regards to the transmission: remember that these brutes operate at low RPM. 1,200-1,800 thereabouts.

My Wisconsin is rated at 104 hp at 1200 rpm but cranks out over 600 ft lbs of torque.

A transaxle and chain drive would work well since you can easily change the ratios. Or perhaps an

early brass era four speed? I believe I saw one for sale on the Horseless Carriage Club website. Regardless

your going to have to figure out a way to develop a good cruising speed at low RPM.

If you do find a Wisconsin its important that everything is there. There are simply no parts out there.

Having worked to bring one of these big T-heads back to life for the last nine years I speak from

experience. I had to fabricate a ton of patterns and core boxes and machine and assemble the castings

for the upper and lower water manifolds, the intake manifold, oil pump drive housing, valve shrouds and a bunch of other

misc. pieces. I machined new valves, valve guides and lifters. I lucked out in regards to the water pump.

In short its a big job!

Good luck with your search and please keep us posted. If I come across something I will let you

know.

Best regards,

Terry

My motor as found. This is a Wisconsin PT (5-3/4"X7")

11-23-08ea.jpg.7d94722190780c1eaf21aa81cd7431de.jpg

As it is today

IMGP9256.thumb.JPG.287e053cfcfdfdd4b1acd829b970c866.JPG

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don,  I agree 100% with the observations that Terry has shared.  A mostly complete, but missing a few parts engine project, can actually be a deal killer if you are not willing or able to "run around the brier patch" to source the parts.  However, I am an optimist.  I have been patient and willing to buy or build parts as needed.  I have also been surprised by some of the "unobtainium" finds that are still out there.  My advice always keep you eyes open and your ears open for leads.  Lastly, depending upon your thinking and pocket book, it may be better to simply locate and purchase a complete chassis project or running car, in the long run.

Al