Electric Supercharger Update

It works! I was kinda suprised, you can actually feel it.

I'm guessing here, Padgett, E.D.S.O, 2 seater, others, correct me

if I'm wrong, Seems like it revs up quicker, assume that the engine doesn't have to pull vacuum (-.5 psi) although it doesn't produce boost pressure (hooked up a gauge) I would think that it squeezes in more air into the cyl.

and the sensor adds more gas to compensate?? Think that I saw somewhere about the eng. draws in 80% vol. on downstroke? I have a Gtech pro coming next week, and will get some real #s on this. Before you go out and pay $$$ for one of these, let me know, I can send some links to best models and prices.

Would guesstimate 10+ H.P. a noticeable difference.

I read the advert and gave it a favorable review. No big overstated claims.

Glad to hear it works. Looking at CAI for winter project. Will take notes.

Guest Buick Mike

I am probably going to sound like a jerk here, but that is not my intention...

Guys, before anyone else goes out and buys one of these things at least know that what you are getting is a <span style="font-weight: bold">boat bilge blower</span>. Anecdotal evidence of a car feeling faster with a bilge blower installed in the intake shouldn't convince anyone. I think we all know the concept behind the placebo effect. To that point, I can also guarantee that if you spend a day cleaning and detailing your car inside and out it will feel faster the first time you drive it... but it's not.

Now if you truly believe that putting a boat bilge blower in your intake will increase your car's HP then go ahead and get one, I can't save you from yourself.

As a final note... G-Tech testing is better than nothing <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> the variables are tightly controlled and there is a big enough sample. At a minimum I would make two runs in each direction both with and without the bilge blower installed. Better yet, take the car to a dyno. That will be irrefutable proof one way or another. If the dyno runs show any HP gains at all I will publicly eat crow and be the first in line to buy one.

Mike

Yep, it is a bilge blower, as I mentioned in an earlier post about it.

Still that doesn't mean it wont work, looks like it's made well, and should hold up over time. I was sceptical about it myself, but, it sure feels like it makes a difference. It did prompt me to order a G-tech. I'll do a very accurate test with it, I'm really curious just exactly how much it does help.

Also, this is the 240 cfm model, 4" diameter, the 3" are only 130 cfm and probably would hurt performance. Engine displacement also makes a difference, I wouldn't put one on a V-8. Any Takers On How Much H.P. Difference??

I'll make 4 runs, all parameters equal. My guess 14 H.P.

Guest Buick Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> looks like it's made well, and should hold up over time. </div></div>

That also describes my toaster... enough said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any Takers On How Much H.P. Difference?? </div></div>

Zero.

Mike

Reminds me of all the crap sold back in the '50s. [color:\\"red\\"] "One can of Octane Super-Booster in your gas tank and your mileage will double"... [color:\\"blue\\"] "Add 20 horsepower with the Supersonic Jet Venturi between your carburetor and intake manifold"... [color:\\"orange\\"]

"Super-Gloop in your crankcase will eliminate all friction and your engine will run 1,000,000 miles"... and so on and so on. We called them Wishful Thinking Miracles in a Can. Apparently the only difference is that this latest Miracle comes in a box....

Jerry

Geez, you guys are sceptical smirk.gif maybe right? I just had a friend ride with me in the car and he said he could definitly tell the diff. He's in his 50s and a sceptic, also a mechanic for over 25 yrs. NOTE: The G-tech measures H.P. at the wheels, so my guess of 14 is probably too high. Should be here next week, we'll see. Also, it is pretty quiet, can't really hear it over the engine at full throttle. Is Crow served best with white wine??? shocked.gif

Did you see the "60 Minutes" segment a few months back about the placebo effect with knee surgery? Half the cases actually were operated on; the other half only had an incision made, but were told the entire procedure was done. Guess which half reported great recovery and renewed use of the knee? Never underestimate the power of the mind. And that's why my Reatta always runs better just after being waxed....

Jerry grin.gif

I wont discount the possibility, heck, I've been taking placebos for years now and I'm perfectly healty grin.gif However, in theory, it would seem like it "should work". Now, as to the waxing, lower coefficiant drag, therefore it does run better. cool.gif

One of the great things about this country is that for any problem you will have 2,000 loonies each with a different approach - <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">and one or two will work</span></span>.

Back in the crazy days of the mid-70s they came out of the woodwork and one did do what it said: called the "PassMaster" it connected to a vaccuum line and released the a/c clutch if the vacuum dropped under about 6". (Back in them daze the old A-6 compressor ran constantly when on). This made a real difference.

The 1973 Vega had a switch on the throttle to do the same thing (but I think it was more about power than MPG) - wonder if the Reatta a/c turns off at WOT as well ?

This is similar. It doesn't cost much (about U$50) and may help a problem area - the restrictive intake. Instrumentation will tell.

Guest Buick Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is Crow served best with white wine??? </div></div>

If I have to, I'll eat it any way it's served ooo.gif

Honestly, I hope you're right. Although the adult engineer that I am says there's no way that thing works, the little kid in me thinks it would be really fun if something as goofy as a bilge blower actually made your car faster laugh.gif

Mike

Once you know that the series l supercharger consumes about 48 horse power to compress the air and then compare that figure with the bilge pump motor's power output..... Well you see what I mean.... 48hp to increase a delta of 50hp. What is the power of a builge pump? Even if it was an incredible .5hp expect an increase of approx 1hp.

Guest Reatta1

You guys are a riot! My boat (24 ft cuddy cruiser) runs at 60 mph+ with a 315 Mercruiser whether the bilge blower is on or off. Can't quite see how it will make the Reatta run faster or give it more hp but I've found that you can always learn something new. I'd still like to come up with a way to convert from sequential to tuned port injection as I think that would give it a decent boost in power. cool.gifgrin.gif

As I understand it, the blower draws about 5 amps, (less than .5 H.P.) but pressure is not the objective, the objective is to move those bilge blowers off the shelf, they've been sitting there drawing dust, ummm I mean it's to overcome negative vacuum, same idea as the K&N filter taken a step further, better flow, less restriction.

Not to be negative, I meant positive vacuum, I'm positive. 1/2 psi vacuum actually, 1 inch mercury. Hypothetically, this would balance the positive vacuum. Positive. grin.gif

Hmmm, substantial decrease in cfm when installed. I've been looking for a motor/fan assembly that would put out more cfm and then build a housing, any ideas?

OK, so here it is... EXTRA large hood scoop, and the extra 300 lbs under the hood would drop that front end a little too! and the AC/DC inverter in the trunk would lower the back end! Results... A cool looking lowered Reatta that weighs around 4500 lbs. with a blower! estimated 0-60 around 12 sec.

And all for less than $5000.00 Hey, Sign me up! grin.gif

I was thinking around 50 amp motor might produce a pound of boost, but wonder if it would be worth it. Good article.

Looking more at these bilge blowers, they are cheap design. As mentioned before, just a minor power assist for air induction.

Direct drive is a bad design. The fins of the bilge are light, while the armature is not. Overdrive pulley design.

Just a crazy thought, how about a motor off a Ruby (industrial) juice machine and give it an alternator of its own. . .

As to my previous guess to HP, maybe not a change in top HP, but more air sooner, making a quicker Reatta.

Does A.S.G. still exist? (4.9litre, 280hp motor maker)

The website is still up. A while back I wrote them, I didn't receive anything.

Guest Greg Ross

Then of course theres' always the option to revert back internal combustion engine drive for improvement in that loss factor. Picture this now, use your imagination, we're looking for a 50 hP source. How about a water cooled motor cycle engine (small compact V-twin from one of the Crotch Rockets) mated to the Supercharger and locate it in the trunk. Air Duct forward, cooling lines sharing the radiator, existing fuel tank and muffler are right handy. Just a matter of routing a throttle cable back.

The sound certainly would be interesting! wink.gif

I think that the blower motor should be powered by solar. No alternator losses that way. But still have to figure out how to get the big restriction out of the intake that will block about a third of the air flow at full throttle.

Pretty accurate description, it seems to rev up quicker if you stomp on it at low speeds, but can't tell much at hwy. speeds. Yeah, a motor/fan combo like that, that would produce some rpms. and it's own power supply might work.

Motorcycle eng. in the trunk... I need a test mule, possibilities are endless,

I'd like to hear it! Nitrous, would the 3800 handle it OK? bet it would scoot!

Within the next few months, I'll try to pick up a Reatta for testing.

Aw, sheeit, people; just drop a 400 h.p. Volvo Diesel in there. It'll add about 2000 pounds and give you that cool raked look. Zero to 60 oughta be about 90 seconds, but gollydamn, you'll impress the girls at the Frosty Freeze! And talk about burn-outs! You'll go through a front set of Monkey Wards 600x16s everytime you peel out of WallyWorld!

JerryBob

Had to go to Dunlop RS-5s for my last 6.00x16s (Jag XK-150S).

No reason the 3800 couldn't handle about a 50 hp NO2 shot - once 8*). Don't push the button in first gear though.

Last production car I heard about with dual engines was a Citroen Sahara . 2CV engine at both ends.

Have seen some customs with two coupled engines but difficult with FWD.

Keep in mind that the mechanical supercharger that gives a 50 hp boost is actually adding 100 hp & using half to run the drive and the power required vs hp gain is non-linear. I remember seeing numbers like 1,000 hp to run a blown hemi with a 6-71. (Making 3,000 hp and putting about 1,500 hundred on the ground).

For a small gain (3-5 hp) the power required should be minimal. Since intake is somewhat restricted it could make a difference. Would want to see runs with and without blower and with stock and K&N (or no) filter.

If no - do not try around sand.

Real answer is with G-Tech - any luck yet ?

Padgett:

My '57 Bird was an F-model with the Paxton-McCullough variable-speed (6-9 pound) supercharger. Developed 305 horsepower vs. 245 for the carbed version with same bore/stroke. Is there a formula for calculating the increase?

Jerry

Guest Reatta1

You guys wanna save a few bucks on this project just drop a small squirrel cage in there, hook up the shaft to the bilge blower, pop a hungry young squirrel in the cage, hang some walnuts in front of him and you got it wupped. He'll run like crazy trying to get those walnuts and probably get you at least a half pound of boost and think how cheap squirrel food is. Could even divert a bit of the air to blow on him to keep him cooled off. If you catch your own squirrel's it's a real bargain. smirk.gifgrin.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif

Hey, now there's a way to get power without compromising the engine or diverting energy from another source, well... except the squirrel.

G-tech due in on Thurs. Will make two runs with each configuration, and post the results. My brother (machinist) is working on a prototype electric S.C. that should produce some serious CFM. and hopefully a couple PSI. If costs can be kept low enough and dyno. testing results are noteable, may be marketable, time will tell.