Early motor identity

AHa

Hey there, I was wondering if anybody might recognize this motor. It is of course a single cylinder, water cooled with automatic intake and mechanical exhaust. it is about 2.75" x 3" bore and stroke. I haven't found any marks on it, no numbers or letters. It came out of a collection in Connecticut. Anybody got any ideas?

IMG_0514.jpg

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

It is quite small - only just over 1000cc. The crankcase looks sort of De Dion like but of course there were foundries all over the world making small engines.

My initial calculation was way off - I misread the result on the calculator.

It is only 18 cubic inches - about 300 cc.

Whatever it is, it's very early and looks to still have its timer in place. The mounting base looks to be purpose-built for the engine, so perhaps a stationary engine application? It's reminiscent of the Daimler Grandfather Clock engines and possibly dates from around or just after that period, although the spark plug fitment would place it in the early 1900 era. Unless that spark plug mounting is a later fitment and it may have had an ignitor originally? That's a very nice engine, and one I'd like to very much own.

Craig and others,

The flywheel is not attached in a professional manner. It has a long bolt screwed in as if the flywheel was temporary to get the motor running. Also, the cam was built up on one side using babbit, as if the valve timing was a bit off and it was adjusted. This plus the lack of markings indicates to me it was somebodies first attempt at making a motor. I have not fiddled with it much as I don't want to lose the original patina. I bought a 3/4" Schebler but haven't attempted to run it. There could be a name behind the flywheel that I cannot see. The head has fins to cool it but the cylinder is water jacketed with dual ports both sides. Any help with identifying it is greatly appreciated.