Transmission bolts

Phils38cpe

I may have made a mistake but I decided to pull the motor out the top leaving the tranny  on my 90 convertible to fix the freeze plugs, A/C compressor and intake manifold gasket. I'm getting to old to do this stuff but I tried it anyway. I got just about everything disconnected even got 4 of the 5 bell housing bolts. The service manual says one is put in from the engine side on the fire wall side of the motor. Try as I might I can't find this 5th bolt. Can anyone shed some light on this?

19 hours ago, 2seater said:

18" extension and an 18mm socket (if memory serves). I have done this change many times. It can be frustrating and I suggest taping the socket to the extension will reduce the colorful language.

harbor freight sales extensions with 'locks'so that the socket can't fall off.i have some.https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-38-in-drive-quick-release-extension-bar-set-67976.html

7 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

harbor freight sales extensions with 'locks'so that the socket can't fall off.i have some.https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-38-in-drive-quick-release-extension-bar-set-67976.html

Good idea. It would be nice to be available in 1/2" as that bolt is fairly torque heavy. 18" of extension places the breaker bar/ratchet in a sweet spot between the engine and strut tower.

I think I'm suffering softening of the brain. Going after that elusive tranny bolt I found that the tranny dipstick tube would make the job a lot easier if it wasn't there.

FINALLY got the  bracket bolt out and removed the dipstick tube- Now for the fun part - "should have drained the tranny first " stupid mistake good thing I had a full  bag of kitty litter.

I HATE CARS !!!!!!!