Correct blue code for 64 601 trim

oneriviera64

I am "struggling" with Covair page for finding correct blue to replace my carpet in my 64 Riviera. My car trim is 601 and I want to use original blue carpet. I can see they have three different blues, can anyone advise which should be correct original: Light, Deep or Medium Blue? 

image.thumb.png.df335876e65d65ba542aded88475a2ba.png

You're unlikely to find an exact match, as the original carpet varied in color throughout the year according to dye lot, etc.  So, forget looking for the elusive sample of virgin carpet and do as Ed suggested and get samples.  Find the one that you think looks the best.

The sad thing here is that I've got 611 trim, and I can't remember what I used (twas either deep or medium).  Whatever it was, it was a very close match to the dark blue between the rear seats.  It looks fine, and I'd defy anyone to quibble with the color.  FWIW, the original carpet (which I still have) had an almost turquoise or aqua tone to it.  None of the three matched that -- but (IMHO) the one that I chose looks better than the original color would.  Yes, there's a little difference between the floor and the doors, but it's barely noticeable.  Besides, that's a "Does the carpet match the drapes?" issue. ;)

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately this car carpet has already been changed in the past, so I cant rely on that color if I want to keep as close as possible to original. That's why I am asking advise. I don't want to choose the color I like the most but what is the most close to original 601 trim from these 3 options. I also will order same material for doors and kick panels so they all match.

3 hours ago, oneriviera64 said:

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately this car carpet has already been changed in the past, so I cant rely on that color if I want to keep as close as possible to original. That's why I am asking advise. I don't want to choose the color I like the most but what is the most close to original 601 trim from these 3 options. I also will order same material for doors and kick panels so they all match.

If you don't know which blue is correct, what makes you think that anyone else looking into the car is going to know which blue is correct.  The ROA does peer judging and I'm pretty sure that my wife or anyone else's wife who has a ballot in hand doesn't know which is correct.  The ONLY person who knows if what you have in your car would be the original owner of another 64 whose car has never been exposed to light; and he'd have to park right next to you in order for anyone to ccmpare.

I'm not a member of the BCA but I highly doubt if the judges have samples of original carpet that they carry around just looking for a car that' doesn't have the correct shade of blue.  They'll accept a base coat/clear coat paint job that's close rather than the original lacquer.  

The suggestions to pick that one that looks best are probably the best advice you can get.  Don't pet the sweaty stuff and don''t sweat the petty stuff.  

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you don't know which blue is correct, what makes you think that anyone else looking into the car is going to know which blue is correct.  The ROA does peer judging and I'm pretty sure that my wife or anyone else's wife who has a ballot in hand doesn't know which is correct.  The ONLY person who knows if what you have in your car would be the original owner of another 64 whose car has never been exposed to light; and he'd have to park right next to you in order for anyone to ccmpare.

I'm not a member of the BCA but I highly doubt if the judges have samples of original carpet that they carry around just looking for a car that' doesn't have the correct shade of blue.  They'll accept a base coat/clear coat paint job that's close rather than the original lacquer.  

The suggestions to pick that one that looks best are probably the best advice you can get.  Don't pet the sweaty stuff and don''t sweat the petty stuff.  

Hi OneRiv (name?),

I checked the `64 parts book and Buick lists the same carpet for trims 601 and 611. The 611 trim is the blue cloth and vinyl so perhaps that info will expand your possibilities for an actual sample.

The parts book shows a different carpet for trim 621 which is the all vinyl dark blue custom trim. I know the carpet for this trim is a dark blue so I would venture to guess the color that will be closest will be described as a medium blue. Both the 601 trim (a light/medium metallic blue) and the 611 trim (a lightish powder blue) are both relatively light colors and I think a medium blue would offer the contrast needed without varying too much from the original hue of the upholstery materials.

I have a few interior pieces from a 601 interior. I will see if I can salvage a small carpet sample from behind the binding on a door panel...but no promises. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

I've got 611 which (presumably) had the original carpet when I bought it 40 years ago.  Although the vinyl and cloth on the seats were light blue, the carpet was decidedly not.  Again, look to the area between the rear seats for guidance.  Of the three colors that Clark's had when I bought my carpet, the closest match for the original was also the closest match for that section.

And here's the thing about choosing the color that (you think) matches best rather than the color you like: you have to live with that choice.  And every time you look at it, you'll be telling yourself "Man, I really think that other color looked better."  Do you really want to do that?