Steering column, 65 Riv

psychostang

Most of them are like that especially if they have a tilt column.  The opening allows engine heat up the column & when driving long distances the column can get SO HOT you can't touch the column or the metal part of the steering wheel. I make a bushing for that. Problem is the column has to come out & come apart to install/replace it.

Now would be a good time to upgrade your steering box to one of my more modern boxes with 2.5 turns lock-lock.

Tom T.

Tom-T:  I already purchased one of your boxes, remember!  :)  I haven't installed it yet, as I am working on upgrading the brake system.  Having it out, gives me more room to access the brake line junction.

Tom-M:  Why would the tilts not have the bearing.  I saw a picture in my chassis manual showing the bearing.  I think this car sat in the dirt/sand for many years.  The original box was leaking for a long time.  Of course I will be replacing the coupler.

Edited by psychostang (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
On 12/4/2018 at 11:46 AM, telriv said:

Most of them are like that especially if they have a tilt column.  The opening allows engine heat up the column & when driving long distances the column can get SO HOT you can't touch the column or the metal part of the steering wheel. I make a bushing for that. Problem is the column has to come out & come apart to install/replace it.

Now would be a good time to upgrade your steering box to one of my more modern boxes with 2.5 turns lock-lock.

Tom T.

Diy you have these insulators available? How about a 2.5 turn gear box? 

58 minutes ago, Joe pa said:

Diy you have these insulators available? How about a 2.5 turn gear box? 

If you’re an ROA member, you can open the Tech Tips section of their website and find instructions for making an insulator.  

A piece of Delran approx. 2 1/4" in diameter with an approx. 3/4" hole in the center. Then two short self tapping bolts/screws to hold it in place.

How hard can that be??  Even easier IF you have a drill press or better yet the use of a Lathe.

Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)