Bought a '39 LaSalle. Best resource?

CarNucopia

After hanging around PreWar Buicks for the last 15 years, I've picked up a 1939 LaSalle. The car has a little under 28,000 miles and looks to be very original. I've joined the CLC, but was wondering what resources Cadillac/LaSalle folks turn to for good PreWar information.

Thanks

37649529_39LaSalle.thumb.jpg.a6e2fdfde8265dc4c5f25bde5b6278ee.jpg

• Like 2

• CarNucopia changed the title to Bought a '39 LaSalle. Best resource?
  • 1 month later...

Visit tha CadLasalle site, ask any questions, there is nothing new, someone knows the answer you want.

Buy a copy of " LaSalle, Cadillacs companion car" by Ron vanGelderen and Matt Larsen. The club probably has them to sell. 

I have been driving LaSalles 50 years.  Jim43

• Like 1

The worst problems with them are hard starting - that is a lot of playing with grounding - think metal to metal to metal with no paint interference and heavy duty cables too.  Also ground battery to frame and to engine.

And, they can run hot - the blocks fill up with rust chips (resulted from the metal they cast the blocks from).

Water pumps also tend to be a pain.

Do not run them boiling over hot - I am told it results in cracks in the blocks (around the valving usually) - you can clean the block out via removing heads and freeze plugs (in car) if you have to.

We basically won a War with that engine - pretty good stuff

• Like 1

+1 on grounds!  A thorough flush and backflush of both radiator and block is in your future, and stocking filters to catch the crud dislodged from the block by repeated heating and cooling cycles, lest that crud clog the radiator.

Even more importantly, if there is a zerk fitting on the water pump, IMMEDIATELY replace it with a grease cup loaded with water pump grease (put the zerk back only for judging).  A lever-operated grease gun will blow the seals immediately.  Those zerks were to be serviced with a 5-inch grease gun operated by a twist handle on the end.

• Like 2

Buy an authenticity manual for Class 5 (39 and 40 Lasalle) from the Cadillac and Lasalle Club. Also on the Cadillac and Lasalle Club website is information on how to get the build sheet for your car from Cadillac. In addition to the build sheet you will get xerox copies of period booklets with lots of info about specifications and options. There are reproduction shop manuals and Cadillac Master Parts List books from auto literature vendors. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Buy an authenticity manual for Class 5 (39 and 40 Lasalle) from the Cadillac and Lasalle Club. Also on the Cadillac and Lasalle Club website is information on how to get the build sheet for your car from Cadillac. In addition to the build sheet you will get xerox copies of period booklets with lots of info about specifications and options. There are reproduction shop manuals and Cadillac Master Parts List books from auto literature vendors. 

Thanks everyone for the great info.

I’m curious, what’s in the authenticity manual? I have a shop manual that came with the car, but never heard of an authenticity manual.

Hello 64C, Authenticity Manuals are a publication of the Cadillac and Lasalle Club. Their main purpose is to make judging more objective and accurate by documenting what is original and correct. The plan is to have a manual for each CLC judging class. Class 5 is 1939 and 1940 Lasalles. Each manual is written by a group of club members who have experience restoring cars in that particular class. Much information is sourced from factory literature. Examples of info in the manual include the correct paint color and finish for everything and correct upholstery patterns and fabrics. Class 5 has LOTS of good information but it is not a restoration guide as far as "how to" or parts interchanges between cars. The book is about 3/4" thick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Boehm said:

Hello 64C, Authenticity Manuals are a publication of the Cadillac and Lasalle Club. Their main purpose is to make judging more objective and accurate by documenting what is original and correct. The plan is to have a manual for each CLC judging class. Class 5 is 1939 and 1940 Lasalles. Each manual is written by a group of club members who have experience restoring cars in that particular class. Much information is sourced from factory literature. Examples of info in the manual include the correct paint color and finish for everything and correct upholstery patterns and fabrics. Class 5 has LOTS of good information but it is not a restoration guide as far as "how to" or parts interchanges between cars. The book is about 3/4" thick.

Thanks. The thickness explains the price. I'll need to order one. My car is supposed to be a 27K original car, so it will be interesting to compare what's in the guide.  I may try to bring it to the Kentucky meet, so it would be nice to see how prepared I am. 

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

On 1/13/2019 at 7:03 PM, Tom Boehm said:

64C, Please do bring your car to the Louisville meet. I live in the Louisville metro area and I will have my 40 Lasalle there. 

Thanks for the encouragement Tom. I'm going to register and plan on going. My challenge is not having a trailer. I'm shopping for an enclosed one now and can also rent from U-Haul. But if the weather is bad, I wouldn't want to go the open trailer route.