'51 Chieftain - Rear grab handles/rope

PhilAndrews

The interior of my car has been re-trimmed a good number of years ago, and the fittings remain in the back of the front seat.

20181127_163723.thumb.jpg.d501e14ac9f006a9ea638f4ee3f88ced.jpg

I can't find any pictures or specifications- is it supposed to be a grab rope between the two points in the back (Like Mercury did) or two individual handles?

Thanks

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)

My '54 StarChief has a single grab rope, wrapped and stitched in the same material and colour as the door panels. The stitching came apart in some spots so I just reglued it. It's construction is a fine chain that runs through stiff plastic tubing. The ends look like s-hooks that attach to the ends of the chain and the back of the seat. At least that's what I remember. It may not be like yours. 

• Thanks 1

That makes sense. I haven't removed the trim pieces from the back of the seat yet to look at the mounting anchors. There's a (roughly) 1/2" hole in the back of them.

I'll unscrew one and take a look at some point to see what direction to go in.

Thank you.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

They did change it slightly then. Mine had fixtures identical to the one I pictured above. Yours they updated with some really nice piping and brought the top of the squab right up round.

Thank you for taking time to take that photograph!

Phil

Edited by PhilAndrews (see edit history)