Clutch repair on 1922 Oldsmobile

OLDMAN

Is there a shop in Maryland that has the experience to do a clutch job on my 1922 Oldsmobile.

White Post Restoration in Virginia has the experience, but they would not even give me a ball park figure

on doing the work. I am retired and live on a fixed income, therefore I need an estimate to do the work.

OLDMAN

We would be happy to help you but we also could not give you an estimate due to the unknown scope of the work.  Is it simply an adjustment?  Is a new clutch disc required?  Does the flywheel need resurfaced?  Is the throwout bearing useable?  Does a new pilot bearing have to be sourced or machined?   Does the engine or differential need to be removed to get the trans out?  Asking for an estimate on a job like that is like asking "How many undiscovered planets are there in the solar system?" or "How long is a piece of string?". Absolute worst case I wouldn't think you're looking at more than $1000-$1500. If it's simply a bad disc it could be considerably less.

Restorer32,

Thank you for your response. The transmission has to be removed. I had the clutch out a couple of years ago when I was restoring my 1922 Oldsmobile. It is back in and I have done the necessary adjustments according to the original manual, but can not shift into any gear because it clashes the gears. I have new friction discs that need to be installed. The throw out bearing is good as well as the fork and the other parts look good. I have a spare clutch as well for parts if needed. I believe that the thrust ring may not be freely moving on the three drive pins. I can do the work, but I am 76 years old and do not feel like doing this task. I appreciate the worst case figure you gave me. I could deal with that.

Where in PA are you located?

OLDMAN

Just to add to what Restorer is alluding to. When you have the transmission, clutch, pressure plate etc. apart, you really need to do everything related to this task right. I have heard countless stories of just replacing a clutch disc without replacing the pilot bearing, resurfacing the flywheel, replacing the throwout bearing and regretting it later. Too much work to do it over. Do it right and do it once and enjoy the car.

• Like 2

George- Thank you for your post. A month ago I would have purchase the head, however I was able to get mine repaired (metal stitching) and it is back on the engine and the car runs like it just came from the factory. I think that you will have no problem selling the one you have.

OLDMAN