AACA Library During Fall Meet - Research, Yard Sale & More

mhocker

The AACA Library & Research Center is gearing up for Hershey week. Time sure does fly! If you plan on attending and would like to do some research on your favorite car be sure to swing by, and we will get you started on your quest for automotive archaeology. Will you be joining us this week?

We will have slightly extended hours next week:

Mon.: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM

Tue.: 8:00 AM-7:00 PM (4-7 PM Yard Sale)        

Wed.: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM

Thu.: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM

Fri.: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM 

Sat.: Closed

1929 Whippet Being Auctioned off at Library Tent:

You can also find our tent on the Chocolate Field, North (space C3G), where you can check out the bookmobile and have your chance at owning a 1929 Whippet project car. The Whippet will be auctioned off in a sealed bid format, with proceeds benefitting the library. The bookmobile will also be stocked with some books for sale.

Our 5th Annual Yard Sale Fundraising Event: 

It's back! If you collect automotive sales literature, the AACA Library Yard Sale is a great way to score some vintage car ephemera, including brochures, catalogs, manuals, automobilia, and even car parts. What's more, prices on a number of items have been slashed this year, and there will be plenty of good deals to be found.  Make sure to come early to find the best deals! The event kicks off on Tuesday, October 9th and runs from 4 to 7 PM. Refreshments will be available for a suggested donation.

We would like to extend a special thank you to our Yard Sale sponsors, J.C. Taylor Insurance, Universal Vintage Tire, and Karns Quality Foods!

1950 Chrysler eBay Auction Ends Tonight:

Today is the final day to bid on the library's 1950 Chrysler Windsor Club Coupe. The auction ends tonight (October 2nd) at 7 PM EDT. 

eBay Auction

Edited by mhocker
changed EST to EDT (see edit history)

4 hours ago, mhocker said:

1950 Chrysler eBay Auction Ends Tonight:

Today is the final day to bid on the library's 1950 Chrysler Windsor Club Coupe. The auction ends tonight (October 2nd) at 7 PM EST.  

I can certainly corroborate that the Library Sale

is worth going to.  The best deals have been in

literature from the 1970's and up:  Because those cars

aren't considered as desirable (yet), their literature is

very inexpensive.  There are a lot of cars from those

decades that many people have probably forgotten,

and for just a few dollars you can get a nice pile of catalogues

to stir the memories.

Library folks, since a few parts of the U.S.A. remain on Standard Time

during the summer--but Pennsylvania does not--you might want

to restate the auction time.  You undoubtedly mean

EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME (E.D.T.), not Eastern Standard Time.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Library folks, since a few parts of the U.S.A. remain on Standard Time

during the summer--put Pennsylvania does not--you might want

to restate the auction time.  You undoubtedly mean

EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME (E.D.T.), not Eastern Standard Time.

Hi John, I think you meant to type "but" and accidentally typed "put".  However, I was able to understand what you meant and I thank you for the correction regarding the use of Eastern Times.  I'm sure many of our potential customers were very confused by our reckless use of "EST".  

See you in less than a week!

-Chris  

It's an increasingly common mistake,

and in most cases is not a typographical error--inadvertently

hitting the wrong key when typing--but rather one

borne of misunderstanding.  As our librarians are intelligent,

I knew you knew! 

May you have a successful sale!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I can certainly corroborate that the Library Sale

is worth going to.  The best deals have been in

literature from the 1970's and up:  Because those cars

aren't considered as desirable (yet), their literature is

very inexpensive.  There are a lot of cars from those

decades that many people have probably forgotten,

and for just a few dollars you can get a nice pile of catalogues

to stir the memories.

Last year on the way to the Library Sale I stopped at Black Swan Antiques in  Palmyra, PA, checked out the AACA's section and purchased a few items.

John is absolutely right about 1970s and up literature at the Library Sale. I found a few items I did not have in my collection at the Sale. I also picked up a few items for friends who could not make it to the sale (have to love smart phones and text messages).

Sadly, this year I will miss the Library Sale  ? due to a work commitment at a client.   Oh well, there is always next year's Library Sale to look forward to.

Who knows, with some luck, by then the library might be moved into it's new home! ?

Charlie

Yesterday's yard sale fundraising event was a success. In a three hour period, we managed to raise $10,000! Thank you to everyone who came out and helped make this happen, including our wonderful team of volunteers. Their hard work and dedication help make this event possible.

While this year's yard sale is over, we still have plenty of books for sale at the library. If you are looking for a good deal, you might want to head over to the antique mall, Black Swan Antiquities in nearby Palmyra. Black Swan has over 60 vendors, including the AACA Library. This week, all items in the AACA Library booth are on sale. From now through Saturday, Black Swan will have extended hours and will remain open from 10 AM through 7 PM.

Click here to visit their website.

Edited by mhocker
Additional info. (see edit history)
  • Like 1