Ferrule removal - '30

SDLARS

Gotta believe someone else has asked this before but my searches on didn't find anything. How do I remove the door ferrules? I see how they have been installed but I'm afraid of damaging the wood and/or sheet metal by just prying them out. Suggestions? 

As long as we're on the subject, how about installation? Do I need that $100 tool I see offered in several places or can I set them in with a punch like it appears the originals were? 

Thanks once more!  We're getting close to paint.

The Filling Station rents the tool for $15.00

1926-37
Installation tool, door and trunk ferrule. For all
GM cars & trucks using door handle ferrule. (
C-111
).
Without it ferrules are very difficult to install. Buy or rent
this tool. You may return the tool, in good condition, and
receive a refund of $30.00 - if returned within 30 days
of purchase. You must include a copy of your original
invoice to receive your refund.

I don’t know what the normal practice is but I removed mine before paint by prying them out just enough to get something around them like a water pump pliers and squeeze them to deform them enough to take out.  How they work is that they are smooth when new and the tool punches a notch in them which catches the wood and does not allow them to come out.  If you are careful the crude method I suggested won’t damage anything.  When you put them in after paint make sure that you know were the wood is so that you can set the tool to put the punch hole in the right location because taking them out after a mistake will damage the paint (do you sense I have had some experience in this area?).