Oil Pressure to rocker arms?

B.Liesberg

I was checking the rocker arms & valves yesterday when I noticed that it didn't seem like any oil was getting to them. I detached the oil line going to them that was on the side of the engine & oil did come out (not sure if there's a blockage in the valve train yet though). There appears to be oil everywhere under the valve cover, but there's just no signs of it exiting the rocker arm shaft anywhere. Should I see oil coming out? Or does it go somewhere internally after exiting the rocker arm shaft?

2 hours ago, B.Liesberg said:

I was checking the rocker arms & valves yesterday when I noticed that it didn't seem like any oil was getting to them. I detached the oil line going to them that was on the side of the engine & oil did come out (not sure if there's a blockage in the valve train yet though). There appears to be oil everywhere under the valve cover, but there's just no signs of it exiting the rocker arm shaft anywhere. Should I see oil coming out? Or does it go somewhere internally after exiting the rocker arm shaft?

I have not seen a 1939 shop manual, but expect things are same or similar.  NOT MUCH oil to rockers.  In the 1950 at least, the fitting in the head under the valve cover to which the supply line to the top of the rocker arm is attached has a very small orifice.  I would remove the oil line [ pipe, in Buick speak]  and see if oil is coming from it.  Making certain the pipe is not plugged.  And as Willie says, check back.

Ben

Looks like the small u-bend tube going from the block to the rocker shaft was plugged up a bit with some gunk. I cleaned it out and checked the rocker arm shaft with a small oil can and oil seems to flow freely through it.

So, now my next question is how do the valves get lubricated?

It takes a very long time for oil to get to all the rockers and then come out. The long rocker shaft has to fill first before you'll see anything coming out. It might be several minutes.

When the engine is at speed, the oil that is coming from around the rockers gets flun everywhere and that lubes the valves.

Your comments and concerns are very common with the straight 8 Buicks. Your comment that you see oil everywhere attests to the fact it is probably OK.

Dont worry - it works.  Of course you have to have decent oil pressure

• Like 1