Spotted this 1923 Ford Model T coupe across the street....

keiser31

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Were the wire wheels aftermarket accessories?  Probably a better ride than the wood wheels would provide on a rough road.

I believe they WERE accessories.

Yes the wheels were accessories. Available in a variety of sizes to fit Fords and most other cars large and small. They are much more popular on model Ts today than they were when the cars were anywhere near new. Original era photos show only a very small percentage of model Ts with wire wheels in the '20s, and even fewer during the brass era. After-market wire wheels were available from the beginning of the automobile, and right on through today. However, back in the day, few owners would pay the price for them to go onto a model T. Many other manufacturers offered wire wheels as an option when the cars were new, including Dodge. Steel disc wheels were slightly cheaper, and a few more of those found their way onto Fords, especially speedsters. The cheap fake steel discs that mounted onto the wooden spoke wheels were more popular for the model Ts. 

I often joke that there are probably more brass era model Ts on the road today with wire wheels than were on the road with wire wheels during the brass era. Black era model Ts may not be quite so extreme. However, there are still proportionally more wire wheels on those than there were in the '20s. Still and all, they are a neat accessory and people like them.

Thanks Keiser31! I, like so many people on here, enjoy seeing the pictures you capture and share.

• Like 3