1931 Studebaker Radiator

31 model 54 used a Stewart Warner fuel pump, but there are quite a few ac units that will fit if it's not a show car. You may need to reroute the fuel line and/or twist the fuel bowl to a different location around the diaphragm. The most important thing is getting one with the correct shaped actuating arm.

Spinneyhill - I bought the pump from ebay, and it was advertised for a 35 Studebaker Commander.  It does have the same shape arm as the Stewart Warner pump, although it's made of 3 pieces of flat sheet riveted together, not a cast piece.  I've rebuilt it since this picture was taken.  Not sure what the long standoff's are for (above the diaphragm), but they've been removed and replaced with standard screws.  Maybe that's what made it a commander pump.

20171218_210736.jpg

3 hours ago, Tom Devoe said:

Not sure what the long standoff's are for

The long "standoffs" are to mount a heat shield on.

I thought Studebakers had the mounting holes nearer the top at the same level... The AC book shows the 1935 Commander had either a Series R or a Series W pump. That is neither. The type W is like this:

image.png.9c61078514a42f1ac1f7f9657d93ec03.png Does it fit your car? The top is correct for 1935, well any Stude into the '50s I think. The 1930 Stude FE, FH had a type B, which had a mounting like that one you have. The 1933 President 82, 92 and Commander 73 and some 1934 Presidents had a series J, which also had the mounting holes like that but included a vacuum pump. So perhaps the pump you have will work, although it is not a 1935. The top or cover as it is called by AC was mounted at 9 o'clock on 1933 pumps and at 6 o'clock on 1930 pumps.

Are there any numbers stamped into it, including on the arm?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

• 4 months later...