D. Cameron Peck cars

MFMcLean

Hi,

I am researching a book about D. Cameron Peck's classic boat collection which he had at Lake of Bays, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada.

In his archive of boat photographs are a few of his classic automobiles which he had transported to Muskoka to use while at his summer cottage probably between 1948 and 1951. I would like to identify the year and model of these cars. 

Mark

Baysville-038.jpg

Baysville-002.jpg

Baysville-072.jpg

Baysville-076.jpg

FamilyGuestsEmployees-013.jpg

Not sure of the years, but photo number 2 is a Rolls-Royce. Photo number 3 is a Hudson on the left and a Rolls-Royce on the right. Photo number 5 is a 1936 or 1937 Cord.

I found a reference to Peck's cars in an  earlier forum. Included is mention of a 1902 Panhard. I think that is the car in the first photo.  The second car, the Rolls-Royce. looks to be a circa 1914 Silver Ghost. The original Alpine Trial car from that time now lives in New Zealand. The Rolls-Royce in the photo with the Simplex is a Springfield-built Silver Ghost from the early 1920s.

The Rolls-Royce in the second picture does not appear to have the RR mascot (which sometimes was removed when parked to keep it from being swiped) but it also has a high radiator neck, and I don't clearly see the RR emblem on the shell.  Could it be that this is something else, a Roamer,  a Minerva for instance? 

Just thoughts from the peanut gallery. I'm no RR expert.

The actual car that competed in the 1913 Trial was used to recreate a famous photo - in the original location. I think that is the owner in the middle of the second photo who has brought it with him to NZ. Reading further into this I think this car is not one of the three factory cars but a privately owned model that was also there. It was restored from a wreck many years ago after having been converted into a breakdown truck.

Rolls-Royce-Alpine-Trial-1913-Picture.jp

Rolls-Royce-Alpine-Trial-2013-Picture.jp

• Like 1

Not all Rolls-Royces were supplied with mascots. There was a 20/25 owned by a friend of mine. He got the build sheet from the UK and the car was supplied new in the '30s with only a standard cap; that is how the car was ordered by the first owner.

Viv.