Removed some ''old'' rusty spark plugs from my Reatta with 62k miles

ski.dive

Removed some ''old'' rusty spark plugs today= # AC-936.

My Reatta has 62k original miles= ***I wonder if these are the original plugs from the factory?????

Here you go

See the difference  acdelco 41-936 and the AC 936 spark plugs =See the pictures of both bellow.

Here is a picture of the old/rusty  AC 936 spark plugs  that I just removed=They were like welded on.

IMG_2863.JPG

sparkplug.jpg

Edited by ski.dive (see edit history)

2 hours ago, ski.dive said:

AC-936   is stamped right on the spark plug.

I tried to google AC-936  ,I can not find them, Of course they are made by AC

They are so old that one of the plugs broke trying to remove them.

Yes, I tried the same thing as well as cross references to Champion and Autolite. Are they a standard type plug with the large center and side electrodes or maybe a thin wire thin wire platinum? Just out of curiosity, do they match the front? Strange.

6 hours ago, ski.dive said:

No, those are acdelco 41-936, they do not look like that.

The ones I removed just say- AC 936

***These AC 936 were very rusty and have to be very old.

I have a couple of 90's spark plug catalogs and cannot find anything for a plug numbered like that all the way back to 1980 or so. I thought maybe Accel that uses a three digit number system but no #936. Very strange.

Most assembly line installed plugs of that time frame had a dot of paint on the tip where the wire connects. If this is wrong for the Reatta, hopefully someone will jump in here and correct me. I don't think these plugs are original.

Plugs don't typically break from age. They break because the plug wrench put just a little too much force on the side of the insulator. The tools are not perfect, and sometimes it just happens, especially when the plugs are stuck.

AC plugs of that time frame were mostly green. The blue would indicate something special, like Platinum or whatever. In fact, you can see the little pointy tip containing the platinum (or whatever they used) on the center electrode. The tip of the center electrode on a "normal" plug should be flat with sharp edges, burning to rounded edges as the plug wears out.

Someone probably shelled out extra money for some special plugs.

As Ronnie says, its what you put in that counts.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Those sure look like a double platinum from the little extra nubs on both electrodes. They also appear to be the nickel ? plated shell. I would doubt very seriously they are O.E. plugs.

A little sidetrack: My Ford Ranger 4 liter uses a very similar wasted spark ignition. The factory plugs were single platinum, but two different part numbers from one side of the engine to the other. The platinum was on the ground electrode on one side and on the center electrode on the other side. I was never able to find those part numbers in the aftermarket where double platinum is the recommended replacement. My assumption is a cost saving move with decent life from the factory. 

On 4/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, 2seater said:

I have a couple of 90's spark plug catalogs and cannot find anything for a plug numbered like that all the way back to 1980 or so. 

No AC #936. Very strange.

I have also searched the Internet and I can NOT find these -

AC 936 spark plugs= They are old.

IMG_2863.JPG

Edited by ski.dive (see edit history)

On 4/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, 2seater said:

I have a couple of 90's spark plug catalogs and cannot find anything for a plug numbered like that all the way back to 1980 or so. 

No AC #936. Very strange.

I have also searched the Internet and I can NOT find these

AC 936

spark plugs= They are old.

• Ronnie changed the title to Removed some ''old'' rusty spark plugs from my Reatta with 62k miles