Reatta sighting on TV

Bushwack

It does almost look like it may be a polo green coupe in that still, but it has 88-90 wheels on it so probably not. More likely either black or sapphire blue with odd lighting  (those orange hued sodium street lamps). Note too the full sized station wagon, could be a Buick or Olds. I don't think the Chevy version got "woodgrain" vinyl after the 70's but could be mistaken on that. Could also be a Ford full size wagon though.

Now, what I want to know is where they procured the car for shooting that sequence. I know therd are outfits that specialize in renting cars for period correct work in tv and movies, but do we really think such an outfit would be sitting on a Reatta of all things, versus some other readily recognizable (to the public at large) late 80's vehicle?

That leaves two other possibilities. One is that someone on the crew has (or at least knew of) a Reatta personally, and they arranged  to work it in, maybe even as an inside joke. Or, the studio rented it from a private owner (and this does happen frequently when shooting movies and tv shows where specialty or period specific vehicles are needed) to use for the shoot. In the latter case, it might not be that difficult to find out who's car it is as there is usually a fairly short list of go-to people who work that part of the business.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

The color could be off because of me taking a photo of my TV screen. The TV show Young Sheldon is set in 1989 so the Reatta would be period correct. Sheldon, in the TV show Big Bang Theory, often refers to the year 1989 according to my daughter who is a big fan of the show.

Ronnie, it has less to do with your hardware or taking it direct of the screen than the lighting of the setting in which the car was filmed. Look at the the streetlight. Low pressure sodium bulb in the streetlamp=orange tinted light. Put a blue car under it and will look a bit greenish. The same effect would be seen on a black car, to a lesser extent. Even with the motion smear, there's no mistaking that those are 5 spoke wheels, so not 91 style rims.

Not that any of this really matters, it's just nice to see someone chose a Reatta for a few seconds of screen time. When's the last time that happened? Probably 20 years or more ago now in any mainstream production that got decent exposure. And no, YouTube vids don't count.

• 2 years later...