Mystery circa 1912 touring car from HAMB

nzcarnerd

There's those Adlake (Adams and Westlake) sidelights again that were discussed a month or two ago on the forum. Possibly a Stearns-Knight four-cylinder. from 1913? I don't see the white line around the radiator core but that part of the car is in shadow.

Greg in Canada

• 3 years later...

Ran across this old thread today by accident.  For the record, the maroon car shown in the attached is a 1912 Stearns-Knight Four touring. It has its EverReady spring starter and is believed to be the same car as the one shown in the previous photo from the 1928 silent movie "Show People". There are a few differences between this one (#5786) and the one in the lead photo.  That one is missing its starter (added as standard equipment sometime late in 1912), missing a spare tire, and does not have the flat portion at the back of the rear fenders.  The fenders do however match those used on the toy tonneau. The second photo shows these fenders on the example in the AACA Museum. Note that the toy tonneau body is considerably narrower, and the hand brake and shift levers are on the outside of the body. There are two known remaining 1912 touring cars and two known remaining 1912 toy tonneaus.  

More importantly, however, is the shape of the cowl in the lead photo. As far as I know, all 1912 cars had a flat wood dash with no metal cowling. The following year, the bodies were modernized and streamlined with a metal cowl.  Shown in the third photo is 1913 advertising for the touring. Note that the 1913 models are the first to use the Knight radiator mascot. In the lead photo, yes, that is an aftermarket license plate holder attached to the radiator neck. I tried one on my car and it looked just as awful as the one in the photo. And, I could be convinced that what is visible on the radiator cap are the base and two broken off legs of the knight mascot. They were die cast (I believe), and fragile even when new.

Stearns never produced cars in large volume, and they made changes as they saw fit without worrying too much about model year changeovers. So, there may be examples not shown in any literature.

1912 Stearns front reduced.jpg

Barnes Toy Tonneau 2.jpg

1913 Touring Specs reduced.jpg

• Like 3