Removing headlight switch knob

Healeybob

1 hour ago, Healeybob said:

I have a 63 Riv. How do you remove the headlight switch knob? Putting wood grain on the center dash.

Open the ashtray/lighter door in the console.There are 3 screws holding the assembly in, remove the screws. That whole assembly will remove and the headlight switch is right there. There is a pushpin on the switch. Push in on that and you can pull the shaft out. You then remove the switch escutcheon. I did not have the switch tool so I used a putty knife to turn it. Once the switch is released from the escutcheon the switch drops down for easy access through the opening left by the ashtray assembly. I hope this helps. Bill

Remember that when you pull the shaft out, you're turning on the headlights.  You'll either want either put the shaft back in and turn the lights off or pull the negative battery cable. When you pull the wiper switch make sure you keep track of the plunger for the windshield washer - it's small and easily lost. Why are you choosing wood grain instead of the original black vinyl?

Dales90 - unlike the 64, with the headlight switch on the instrument panel, the headlight switch on a 63 is on the console.

Ed

Since you have the console apart for the headlight switch, there are two screws at the bottom radio panel, remove them. Remove the 4 screws that hold the switch panel above the radio and remove the radio knobs and remove the nuts at the radio control shafts ( they are behind the knobs ).