Title Question

Roger Frazee

I am considering purchasing a project car.  The current owner purchased the car twenty years ago but never registered it.  What issues, if any, will I have when I try to register a car that has a title that was signed-over by the original owner twenty years ago?

Was the title signed over to the present owner?   If not, one would have to "stretch the truth" to get a current title.  That is not uncommon practice here in Florida, although it is technically illegal.

Cheers,

Grog 

Roger,

Have the current owner register the car in his name, then he can give you the proper documents to transfer the title to you.  There will be a penalty for failure to register within a certain time but most likely it is not a large amount.  Why is he trying to pass his problem on to you.  With no title in the sellers name, its a parts car and should be priced as such.  You may want to offer to cover the cost of registering the car in the sellers name.  If he doesn't want to do it, then walk away.  There are bigger title problems than he is telling you.

• Like 2

We just finished a thread about titles and registrations .......... if the seller doesn't have all his ducks in a row, when  he puts it up for sale, find another project.

The  potential azz aches down the road, when you try to obtain a title, is not worth the bargain purchase price.

• Like 2

Technically, if the current owner never transferred title the original owner still owns the vehicle or his heirs would if he has passed. It could now be illegal for him to sell this vehicle without first registering it in his name. I don't know why people will not follow through with the paperwork, it's saves so much hassle just to do it at the time of sale . No vehicles leave my possession until they are signed over! I agree, if he doesn't want to comply, just pass!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Roger Frazee said:

Thanks to all for the solid advice.  I contacted the seller and he agreed, without hesitation, to register the car in his name and deliver a fresh title with the car.

Starting off with a CORRECT TITLE is always the way to go, pleased the seller was helpful to you.