Oil Bath Air Cleaner - '40 Buick

kingrudy

I am working on my air cleaner assembly and would like to hear from someone with more knowledge than myself on the benefits of keeping the copper strainer, or looking for a later type of paper element. I would keep the copper element and clean it according to the shop manual and set it aside, but as a daily driver maybe the paper element would be better??? After much searching and some good advice from the guys I found that the Fram CA6605 will work for my Oil Bath Air Filter on the 1940 Super Coupe. It is exactly 7 inches by 1-3/4". Looks good.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by kingrudy
Found: the right size filter. (see edit history)

Not sure why paper would be better for a daily driver. They clog. Is it a major inconvenience where you are to rinse the element and/or dispose of 1/2 quart of old oil? If so then maybe paper. You can take it out and toss it.

If you drive a lot it an oil bath will need rinsing out. If you don't change the oil, eventually water will collect under it and cause rust pinholes in the bottom.

I am wondering what paper possibly could have won at compared to oil bath. Flow? Oil bath generally has some restriction because of the air reversion that makes them work. Usually in air cleaner tests oiled fibers (cotton? like k&n) win by a landslide.

• Like 1