Scammers very active on eBay , using fake PayPal

Pilgrim65

Morning Folks , I know this subject was recently posted , but I can’t find it  and I don’t want my these scamming scum to hook anyone , with what to me is a new angle 

in the last week I have found 5 eBay ads with classic cars at competitive prices , some quite silly,some as cheap as rough cars needing much TLC ,but the cars look good .

what they all have in common is the offer of more details by email , selling for a friend or family member , which can be believed or they say their sister is dealing with it email her . The ads text are usually in very large font to catch your attention or purposely to hook people with failing sight.

they all respond with same story , can’t arrange viewing because either working abroad or to busy with family affairs , but for me a new angle they offer to use a pay after you receive car PayPal system and send car to you. They purport if you pay by this system PayPal hold onto the money for up to 14 days until you tell them to release funds . They don’t do this !! I checked.

most dangerously they send a false PayPal link , explaining the system hoping you fall for it  or dumping malware onto your computer.

Pay and you’ve lost , no comeback on eBay because outside of their system as you dealt direct with seller and no comeback from PayPal as they don’t relise you think they are holding on to your money . They may try to trace money but scammers long gone .

Dont ever open links to PayPal or eBay , offered in emails , go to ligit site and check anything suspicious 

Apologies if this PayPal pay after you receive already discussed on here, but at least it may make someone think I’ve heard of this scam if they see it or are offered.

Best advice is don’t buy outside of eBay if offered when responding to eBay ad.

cheers 

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

It’s not a new scam. It’s the same one used on CL usually on a nice old car at a very reasonable price. Anyone with good command of the English language and good reading comprehension can see right through the scam.

I’ve seen those too, but the language and on the ones I’ve seen recently had good English and  grammar , moved up a step I think 

I saw through the scam , but I don’t think everyone would initially and it’s very annoying that they manage to advertise . Think eBay must eventually be more vigorous in stopping the scammers , can’t help their image. 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

They are using stolen photos and stolen descriptions so everything looks good. They just want the $400 or $500 instant deposit via pay-pal.

REMEMBER if it looks to good to be true it is. Nobody is selling MARC winning model a roadsters for $15,000 or 1941 Buick Super Convertibles for $25,000 with AACA senior badges.

• Like 1