Selling titles

Wheelmang

One observation.  In our dealings with the DMV in NC,  we experienced a fair amount of frustration and brick-walling at the local office level, (New Bern), due to a lack of knowledge at the front counter regarding a transaction a little out of the ordinary. We applied to the State head office for clarification of the rules, which was promptly and courteously supplied in writing. With that in hand, along with all requested paperwork, doors opened magically at the local office level. They didn't even bother reading the two pages from their head office. The letterhead was enough.

So, clarification in writing to present over the counter may go a long way toward easing the process. At least one knows where one stands, in regard to the laws.

In our case, the problem was merely that we were 'Aliens', and wished to register a vehicle with a Cal title in NC, where we had an address. (I had even been granted a NC Identity card in my endeavour to achieve this, before we applied to the Head Office). 

John, that's exactly my point. Why should it be easy for someone like you in PA, but be nearly impossible for me in NY? Unless you live in downstate NY/Long Island you have no idea how it is to try to deal with the DMV. The attitude with the NY,  DMV seems to be, "how little work can I do for the most money". They could care less about your problem.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

In PA it is impossible to get a title for a car without one unless you pay a lawyer about $700 and wait 6 months to a year to get a Court Directed Title. Even then it isn't easy. Requires a lot of documentation. Sometimes it's worth the wait and expense.

Wow!  I'm glad I live in KY.  I bought both of my old cars without titles (one out of state).  After filling out some paperwork and having a local sheriff deputy see my serial/chassis numbers, I had a title in under 30 days after paying sales tax and a $18 transfer fee.

Seriously,  it is literally impossible to get a title in PA without going thru the courts. Even then you must have good documentation.  Two years ago my brother went thru the process for a 1949 Triumph sports car. There is a lawyer in the Harrisburg area who helped my bro with the paperwork. Took most of a year and cost about $700 but he ended up with a good title.

• Like 1

The reason the gentleman in my town was forced to purchase a title was that he was too honest. When he went to the NY, DMV he had a file of Bob Drake, Dennis Carpenter and other purchases. When he was asked about all the receipts he made the mistake of telling the DMV agent that he built the car from parts. That's when they wanted engine numbers and proof of where he purchased it. That required a "paper trail" that William could not produce. Every person he talked to, including supervisors, told him it was impossible to issue a new registration with out engine documentation. He even went to three different DMV offices with no help. He realized too late that he should have just said that he restored the car and made no mention of an engine replacement. When he purchased the title and went to another DMV, he had a new registration and license plates in less than an hour. One thing I learned is, unless you have absolute proof of the engines history, never tell someone from the NY, DMV that you changed the engine.

• Like 1