Dynaflow Removal from stuck engine

I am looking for a little help on a Dynaflow transmission removal.  I am removing the Dynaflow from a 1953 322 part’s engine and it is stuck.  The engine will not turn over for anything. I want the flex plate from this engine and a few other parts. I am wondering if the transmission can be removed and leave the torque converter on the flex plate,  then have better access to the flywheel bolts or flex plate bolts.

I am pretty sure where this will end, I need to remove the pan and deal with the stuck engine; I am trying to leave it assembled easier to keep track of  spare parts it's  hard to misplace an engine.  

Thanks  

Steve  

20180101_142959.jpg

1 minute ago, Beemon said:

The only way you'll get it apart is if you drop the crank or unstuck the engine. The torque converter does not come apart like you think. 

Depending what position the suck pistons are in,  you might still have to free the engine to pull the crank....

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply’s I was expecting the teardown. I now have discovered another issue with my other Dynaflow I was going to repair and use.

My library only goes up to 1953 I am unsure about interchanges and using later units.  The Dynaflow that came with my car in a box has a 1956 Dynaflow from what I can surmise. I don’t know if it every was in the car, it has a P stamp on the aluminum reaction flange indicates 56 the center casting has (1342992-2) almost matches my core 53 unit  (1342992-3) it has J stamp on aluminum flange indicates 53 but  the tail housing are  not the same length.

53 is 10-¼” long the 56 is 9 -¾” long.  If the 56 was installed and used in the car the rear wheels moved was this a common interchange.  I know I need the cast bellhousing, what else  will I need to look for.  I found the letter codes in the forum and they helped me  before repair and install this is good info before the dollars go in the wrong unit.  

Thanks for the help

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Mack0331 said:

I had a engine locked solid. I just pried the engine and trans apart enough to get a wrench in between them. I didn't care if I messed anything up though. 

Yea if you dont plan to use the flex plate,  this might work. 

Thanks for the advice from everyone

I soaked the cylinders with penetrating oil through the spark plug holes for a few days. Then removed the valve cover and push rods still would not budge. I then removed the oil pan, loosed the rods, and shoved the few pistons that would move to the top of their stroke. I let it soak some more still stuck. I was able to move the crank just enough that I could use my air hammer with a long blunt point, this convinced the pistons to move.  I now have a 53-flex plate and a core Dynaflow for my project.

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1