DC - Washinton I presume - 1918 (from the plates)

nzcarnerd

But what is the coupe? and what is the open front limo that is partly obscured by the T?  Thanks to Tim Martin we have determined the Packard on the right is a Third Series Twin Six - but why the two plates?

10327u.tif

10327u - Copy (2).tif

10327u - Copy (3).tif

10327u - Copy.tif

Edit - hmm don't seem to be able to actually get the pics to show in the post.

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

but why the two plates?

I believe it no longer applies but in the past it was common to see D.C. autos carrying more than one registration ie, license plate. I believe explanation was in this forum, but I'm not able to locate it. Possibly something to do with residence in a nearby state while workplace was in Wash. D.C.

5 hours ago, drwatson said:

I believe it no longer applies but in the past it was common to see D.C. autos carrying more than one registration ie, license plate. I believe explanation was in this forum, but I'm not able to locate it. Possibly something to do with residence in a nearby state while workplace was in Wash. D.C.

Found another pic which might help re the two plates business.

parezo.jpg?psid=1

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:41 AM, 28 Chrysler said:

In some states, in the early years a vehicle had to have a license for the state it was diving in not just where the owner lived.

I think is was only an east coast thing.

I guess that explains the pics you see of trucks with multiple plates.

13 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Is that partially obscured open front limo, as you call it, a taxi? The big round thing could be something to do with it? Spotlight? The badge looks a bit Austin-ish but no doubt it is not.

'The big round thing' I am not sure - hard to say just where it is. Maybe it is a cab - hard to say. I first thought the badge looked like Stevens-Duryea but realised it is up the wrong way for that. I note the car does not have headlights. That front bumper looks a bit flimsy.  Might do some research on DC taxis.

7 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The coupe has a lot of Detroit Electric details.

As with most cars it is not easy to find pictures of the rear ends but this one is supposed to be a 1916 Detroit - and is quite different. I did notice that there were two ladies in it which, without deliberately being sexist,  might suggest it was an electric.

60cab8b55a2721f4694ad02729128d5a--classi