1929 DA waterpump repair

Bob Zetnick

I have a waterpump where I'd like to take the shaft off the impeller. I'm told this requires a specialty tool or machine. Is there a DIY method to take the shaft off?.....or the specific name of the tool / machine that maybe I could ask for help from a machine shop? Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

DC is like that too. The pin is just a straight shaft (or should be). Drive it out, carefully supporting the impeller or you will break it. Then carefully support the impeller close to the shaft and carefully push the shaft out. The pulley on the other end is held on in the same way on the DC pump. It should not be a tight fit coz the impeller is cast, which can't take much tension.

If you are making a new shaft, the hard part (really hard) is to get the new pin holes aligned with the impeller and pulley pin holes. They were not drilled centrally.

22 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

If you are making a new shaft, the hard part (really hard) is to get the new pin holes aligned with the impeller and pulley pin holes. They were not drilled centrally.

I  think the hole is drilled after the impeller is pressed into place. Once and done, doesn't matter if it's off center or not. The idea is to get the impeller in the proper position and measure clearances, then pin it so it can't move.

1 hour ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I  think the hole is drilled after the impeller is pressed into place.

Yes. But the impeller really only has one flat land in which you can readily drill on the DC pump. Between the other arms the metal slopes steeply relative to the shaft axis. I suppose one could machine another land easily enough.