WHAT CARBURETOR IS THIS?

Marty Roth

Which carburetor is on my 1937 Buick Roadmaster? (320ci engine)

Carter?
Stromberg?
Marvel?
Aftermarket replacement?

The top looks like a single, but the lower portion is like a 2 barrel.

The carb's internals look clean and the float and seat look excellent, as does the needle, and passages seem clear. Thought I might replace the needle as a precaution.   Not sure which replacement needle is correct?

A correct '37 Buick had an automatic choke, but this one has (or may have been modified with) a cable-operated manual choke.

Is there a better carb I should consider as a replacement? The car seems to run really well when driving, but here's the concern:

I was trying to resolve a couple of issues -
Starts well after Storage, but difficult re-starting after running and then off for a short while-
Feels like it may be flooding when hard to restart, but didn't smell excessive gas.
Also, what is the very small (copper?) "L" shaped tubing part underneath?
What is the proper height setting for the float?

Thanks for any help

1937 Buick carb 1.jpg

1937 Buick carb 6.jpg

1937 Buick carb 5.jpg

1937 Buick carb 4.jpg

1937 Buick carb 3.jpg

1937 Buick carb 2.jpg

It is the infamous Rayfield model N, one size fits all, works well on nothing, sold by Western Auto, J.C. Whitney and Warshawski to those customers too frugal to purchase a gasket set for the original carburetor.

It was sold under several different brands such as Marvel/Schebler, Rayfield, Johnson, Wizard, etc. When new, there was a water decal pressed into the oval indent with the brand du jour.

I have heard that Sears also sold these, but have never been able to substantiate that.

There is probably a 10-???? stamped number somewhere on the air horn.

These are documented to an extent in the Marvel/Schebler aftermarket sales literature. There is no documentation that parts were ever available.

Jon.

• Like 3

The top "spacer ring" in the photo:

5a2f3c4cc3225_1937Buickcarb4.thumb.jpg.d50eadc96a4b8d37c4d951bf883ca4b0.jpg.b22928dc1973ed21af078d58deedf7f8.jpg

Is it part of the carburetor or does it belong inside the air cleaner as a spacer for different size throats?  

I have a part like that inside the bottom of my air cleaner, kinda wedged in there.

Thank you Jon, Mark, and Gary W, for your response.

This carb was on the 1937 Buick 80C Roadmaster when I was able to acquire the car about 10 years ago, and has always seemed to perform well. Even now it may or may not be the source of, or even related to my re-starting concern.

I'll be sourcing a proper (and probably upgraded) replacement. By the 1941, 1942, 1946 era the carb for the 320ci engine saw areas of improvement. Until then I'll clean and reassemble the existing carb. Having found a few areas with seemingly minor cracking, I'll also make certain of the quality of all hoses and clamps.

Gary W, the ring does appear to be a spacer so that a smaller than standard throat can adapt to the correct air filter.

Thanks again to all for your response.

Marty - when you do start sourcing a better replacement carb, you might want to first look at this link to my website explaining some of the issues:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Buick_1937_1938_carburetors.htm

Basically both Carter and Stromberg offered replacements with a 1937 (or 1938) throttle arm. If you need to discuss, call me at 573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Tues central time). And no, I do not have any of the throttle arm adapters for sale, but will be happy to tell you how to fabricate one.

I am surprised that you have had trouble-free service with this unit; I don't remember ever anyone else having even reasonable service. I always thought the normal customer for these were used car lots, along with sawdust and black pepper ;)

All joking aside, I would NOT want to drive the car without a temperature gauge with that carburetor!

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1