Maxwel Model 25 Carburetor Experiences

hddennis

I've had an awful time keeping my 1917 Maxwell running consistently and authenticly too. I started out wanting to be 100% authentic and used a KD Type B as the car was originally delivered with. Sometimes it worked fine and the next time not so good. I was told by several carb rebuilders the KD was a junk carb and not worth fooling with. Still fighting to be authentic I reasoned that Maxwell used the KD the longest and many surviving Maxwell's  still were equipped thusly. The last straw came this spring when my KD was wounded by ethanol poisoning and acted up no matter how well I cleaned it. During my long restoration I had tried to gather examples of all carburetors used on the Maxwell 25. I'm currently running an Eagle carburetor and it seems to be the best choice so far. Today I just bought a Kingston carb used on some 1915 Maxwell's before the KD replaced them in production. The Kingston is also heavily advertised in period automotive books as an aftermarket replacement for Maxwell's.

What are other Model 25 owners running on their cars and do any of you have experience with the Kingston carburetor?

Howard Dennis

Kingston special Carb 3.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

At some point in its history, my 1914 Model 25 had been converted to a side draft Stromberg Model OF carburetor.   I had to improve the jury-rigged linkage, because the change from the original updraft involved moving the carb from the left side of the engine to the right.  It also involved raising the height by a good 6 inches or more, so a GG vacuum tank had been added as well to provide sufficient fuel pressure.  I have no idea where the right side intake manifold came from; maybe a later model 25.  In any case, the Stromberg OF performs excellently.  The car is a great runner!

Edited by Akstraw
Typo (see edit history)

I don't own a Maxwell, but if I did, and really wanted to use an originally used by Maxwell carburetor; I would be looking for the late Maxwell Stewart. And it would be in my top 3 regardless (the other 2 being the Stromberg SF-1, and the Carter 245S).

Jon.

• 1 month later...

The KD carburetor has got to be superior to the Johnson carburetor I had on my Maxwell. This spring I shall know for sure. If it doesn't work well, I'm going to probably install a Zenith carburetor.

At least the KD has a brass float. The cork float in the Johnson carburetor would quickly fail to float as infiltrated with the poor quality of gas available these days.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently running a Marvel Schebler on my 1915 Maxwell and is very reliable. I make sure I turn the fuel off and let the carb run dry every time I park it. The conversion was already made when I purchased the car and I would like to locate some original control rods for the  carb and distributor.