Testing Gauges

Taylormade

I'm restoring the dash cluster on my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL and need some help.  What is the best way to check gauge operation?  I know the oil pressure gauge is ok as I tested it with compressed air and the readings were spot on.  The temp gauge, a bulb type, needs to be restored, but I know the pot of boiling water routine.  But, how about the amp meter and gas gauge?  How do I check those two?  The gas gauge works on the resistance from the float in the tank - which also needs restoring - but can I test the gauge without the float mechanism?  

Thanks in advance for for any advice or suggestions.

yes , you can bench test gauges . You'll spend more time building a circuit to do it though . Amp gauge must be wired in series with a load such as spot light or something about one third at lest your gauge . Maybe a couple headlights . Then use a clamp-on digital on the circuit to check your accuracy . What ever you use ,be sure to FUSE . Another way is using a battery charger , but there gauges are not very detailed .

On the gas . you have to know the range of resistance  , go to Radio Shack get a resistor about half that value and wire in series in circuit gage should go to half or what ever resistor matches proportionally .

Yeah, I figured it would probably be more of a pain than it was worth.  It's still easy to get at the gauges since the seats and steering column are not yet in place.  I'll just wire everything up and see what happens when I start the motor.  The oil pressure gauge is the critical one, and at least I know that works.

Clamp on DC ammeters are rare/expensive. If you have or can borrow one, GREAT. Most DMMS have a 10 amp DC scale, just wire it in series with your dash gauge and a load. A headlamp sounds good. Aim for 5 to 7 amps.Fuse it at 10 amps or less, as the 11 amp fuse in the DMM is $15 or so......