1947 Chrysler Fuel Pump

After a great  tour in October, I noticed once I arrived home that my fuel pump had developed a leak.  There doesn't appear to be a problem getting a new one, its a matter of getting a good one. Prices seem to range all over the place.

from $69.00 to well over $100.00  After looking at the reviews on the cheaper one (Airtex ) There seems to be a problem that some of them leak upon installation.  So I guess my question is how do I find a quality pump of original design?

I know that Andy Bernbaum & Roberts Motor Parts show them in their Catalogs but are they also using a universal pump like Airtex.  I just don't want to put on a pump that give me a short life, any help would be appreciated,

Regards

Bruce Watson

Where is it leaking? The metal can be bent if that is what has happened. Often the stirrup holding the glass bowl is tightened too much and it bends the top, but then it won't "suck" fuel from the tank.    Bending requires a little heat, clamps and a steel plate or similar and must be gradual.

If it were mine, I would remove and disassemble. The diaphragm is probably hard as burnt toast and the top may be wavelike - lowest at the screws, higher between.

A new supple diaphragm will fix that part of it. Gradual straightening onto a steel plate with clamps and copious boiling water will fix the other part. As long as the arm is OK and its pivots are OK, you will then be good to go. You could buy a kit (e.g. from Then & Now), which will give you the diaphragm and the one way valves.

That pump will have a vacuum pump on it too?

Bought a pump from Then and Now and after a couple of years the mounting bracket cracked. Called to order a new one and they remembered me buying one and replaced it at no charge! Said it shouldn't have broken!   Have recommended them to other collectors who  very happy with motor mounts the vulcanized. They are great and I'll return to them.