Spark advance 1926 DB

Wheelmang

Such a basic question but cannot find the answer after about an hour of looking in manuals. The spark advance lever on my steering column is either in approximately 1:00 or 4:00 o'clock position. What position should it be in for initial start up?

Thanks all. 

Cadillac was quite proud of the slow speed , top gear performance of its long stroke (3-1/8 X 5-1/8) , Nickel Era 314 cu in V8s. In order to drive at , and accelerate very slowly from 10 mph in 3rd , you MUST fully retard the timing. This was a desireable characteristic to the chauffeurs of the day , so as to impart to the passengers the smoothest possible ride. I use this technique frequently. Try it.   - Carl 

Just be wary of what the book says - this was written on the basis that everything was set up correctly from the start.  Over the last 90+ years it may have been adjusted incorrectly at both the distributor and steering box joints/linkages. 

Thanks all for your valued comments. 

I must be looking in the wrong places. In my book of information the only thing stated is retard for start and advance afterwards. Thank you for clarifying the lever position.

I can pretty much guarantee that the original set up is no longer there. I am not at my manuals right now but I (gulp) presume that there are set up instructions in print for the linkage etc.? Some right now is held together with twisted wire so I know it is poor at best. 

Thanks again

Paul

Also , Paul ,as long as you will be setting your timing , the initial setting on your distributor should be advanced several degrees ( 5 , 6 , 7 or so , perhaps even more ) , over stock spec. This is because gasoline when your car was designed was 40-something octane. On 87 , or whatever is the lowest octane in your area , you will develop more power , get better mileage , run cooler , easier on the exhaust valves , by running advanced over spec. Don't forget to fully retard for starting. PARTICULARLY if you start it with the crank !!   - Carl