Free "The Chesapeake Bulletin" Publications 1960's-2000 Hershey CY38

acarcollector007

Bill, local newsletters might be a long shot

outside of your own AACA region.  (I know

the Bulletin has been good, though!)  Try putting

a notice out in your own region, because someone

will appreciate reading about your club's history.

Alternatively, does your club have archives?

They should preserve a copy of every newsletter, and

might want your long-term collection.  If they have one

copy, they might want a second copy for history's sake.

Won't your members be happy in 2067 to know that

someone saved these?

That covers the era in the 1970s when Richard and Fran Byard were the editors. I recall helping them crank out issues on the old mimeograph machine. . . Richard passed away a long time ago and I haven't been in contact with Fran in a number of years.

You might want to check with Terry Bond who frequents these forums: He and Susan were in the Chesapeake Region back then too. They might still have some contacts in the region.

1 hour ago, ply33 said:

That covers the era in the 1970s when Richard and Fran Byard were the editors. I recall helping them crank out issues on the old mimeograph machine. . . Richard passed away a long time ago and I haven't been in contact with Fran in a number of years.

You might want to check with Terry Bond who frequents these forums: He and Susan were in the Chesapeake Region back then too. They might still have some contacts in the region.

Hey Todd, saw this post and had an instant dose of nostalgia!  I recall those days fondly.  In just saw a program from the 1976 National Meet at Timonium Fairground show up on Ebay.  The names in that program were all so familiar, I could close my eyes and hear their voices!. I also had a near full collection of the "Bulletin" but after trying to give it away for quite some time I gave up.  I can't hardly bear to part with them but must admit it's been forever since I've looked at them.  Susan and I are still members and enjoy the online edition, but there are fewer people there that we know.  It's always a pleasure to run into Gary Wilmer and even Jerry Gordon on occasion.  The club has grown and is very strong now, and Paula Ruby is doing a great job there.  I see them often at meets.  There are still a few "old timers" that I occasional see at some of our other National events.  They are hosting another National meet next year and I don't want to miss it.  

I do miss the folks who have passed on, knew Fran and Richard well.  I continued for many years as a vendor at their March swap meet at Howard County Fairgrounds long after we'd moved south to Chesapeake and the Norfolk Va area.   I'd go up on a Friday to set my stuff up in one of the buildings (in the usually freezing cold) and then spend the night, visiting with Fran.  We still hear from her about Christmas time and keep in touch through others there we occasionally run into.  Annual conversations with Bill Bowers too.  Will never forget going to Philly just for the judging school.  That was when the Annual Meeting was in the Ben Franklin.  Would meet Murrell and Kathleen Smith for breakfast, and head for home later that same day.  Ah - such memories!   Where will we see you next?   Am thinking it's time you came this direction so we could meet up at Hershey and share some stories.

Terry

I have an e-mail address for their editor, but it's 

almost 2 years old, so I don't know whether it is current.

Phone calls would be personal and personable,

and I'm sure they would be happy to hear about

old newsletters, especially with the connection to John Packard.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)